Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to transfer files from old MacBook to new Macbook Pro

Hi everyone,

My old MacBook is from 2008, OS X version 10.6.8, and I finally caved in to needing a new laptop and bought the new 16" MacBook Pro 2019 (10.15.3). As it's been a while since I bought a new one, I was pleased to learn about Migration Assistant and the prospect of a less painful process of transferring information. So I tried it, and the computer told me the OS X release from the source is too old (which I completely get).

Is there anything I can do for an easy transferral process? Or would it be just fine to transfer files to an external disk and then on to the new computer?

Honestly my main concern is about how to get my audio files - that were not purchased through iTunes - on to my new machine (because they're missing). Any help on how to get those transferred would be much appreciated.

Thank you for your input!

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 7:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 16, 2020 8:00 PM

Get an external USB 3.0 drive and connect it to the old Mac. Copy only the data folders from the Home folder of the old Mac to the external drive (exclude the Library folder.) Move the external drive and connect it to the new Mac. Copy the contents of the folders on the external drive into the corresponding folders on the new Mac.

Because of the difference in USB connecters you will need an adapter - Female USB-A 3.0 to Male USB-C.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 16, 2020 8:00 PM in response to Colin Howard

Get an external USB 3.0 drive and connect it to the old Mac. Copy only the data folders from the Home folder of the old Mac to the external drive (exclude the Library folder.) Move the external drive and connect it to the new Mac. Copy the contents of the folders on the external drive into the corresponding folders on the new Mac.

Because of the difference in USB connecters you will need an adapter - Female USB-A 3.0 to Male USB-C.

Trying to transfer files from old MacBook to new Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.