Adding musing to new Mac

Hey! After almost 12 years, I recently remplace my Mac (yay!). For now, I still have the old one and have already used the Migration Assistant to transfer everything to the new Mac. Everything seems to have transferred correctly and working fine. Now, I would like to add some music to my new Mac, taken from CDs, but the new Mac obviously doesn't have a CD player. The old one does, of course. So how do I do this using both computers? Do I need to add it to iTunes on the old Mac and run the Migration Assistant once again?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 4:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2023 4:54 PM

Wayne,

Congratulations on your new Mac!

Rip the CD on the old Mac. This will result in new audio files on the old Mac, in your indicated format (AAC if you use the default). Copy these new audio files to a flash drive, and then copy them from the flash drive to the new Mac. Add them to the Music library on the new Mac per this guide: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

Don't run migration assistant again, as it will overwrite everything you have done since the original transfer.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 12, 2023 4:54 PM in response to totalwayne

Wayne,

Congratulations on your new Mac!

Rip the CD on the old Mac. This will result in new audio files on the old Mac, in your indicated format (AAC if you use the default). Copy these new audio files to a flash drive, and then copy them from the flash drive to the new Mac. Add them to the Music library on the new Mac per this guide: Import music from a computer to Music on Mac - Apple Support

Don't run migration assistant again, as it will overwrite everything you have done since the original transfer.

Jul 12, 2023 5:47 PM in response to totalwayne

When burning the CD's make sure you burn 1 at a time. If you select a playlist that will not fit on 1 CD, then it will ask for another CD, but the song and artist information will only show up on the last CD. The others will be listed as Track 1, Track 2, Track 3, etc. Apple does include this bit of information in this supports article under step 8.

Create CDs and DVDs in Music on Mac - Apple Support

Adding musing to new Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.