Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Compatible with Mac OS 10.7.5

I now have 2 external hard drives: Wd easystore 2TB and Seagate Backup Plus Slim 2TB. Support person from Seagate told me their product is not compatible. I researched this community and found the WD Easystore product.

I am unable to format the WD hard drive. Please help.

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 9:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 10:09 AM

You won't be able to use the proprietary software which ships with these external drives which is a good thing as this software is not needed and usually just causes problems.

To properly erase an external drive for use on a Mac you need to select the physical drive within Disk Utility and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Jouarnaled). The erase is likely to fail if you select a drive volume instead. It has been a long time since I used macOS 10.7 so I'm not sure how Disk Utility displays the physical drive, but IIRC it will most likely reference the "WD" name in the left pane of Disk Utility.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2020 10:09 AM in response to conyad

You won't be able to use the proprietary software which ships with these external drives which is a good thing as this software is not needed and usually just causes problems.

To properly erase an external drive for use on a Mac you need to select the physical drive within Disk Utility and erase it as GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Jouarnaled). The erase is likely to fail if you select a drive volume instead. It has been a long time since I used macOS 10.7 so I'm not sure how Disk Utility displays the physical drive, but IIRC it will most likely reference the "WD" name in the left pane of Disk Utility.

External Hard Drive Compatible with Mac OS 10.7.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.