Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Mail not wrapping lines

[Odd that there isn't a community for the Apple Mail app]

I am having a problem on some messages I receive where the lines don't wrap in the reading pane. It seems that there should be a way to either have it wrap lines based on window width or to have it set a default line length (e.g. 60 characters). Am I missing something?

Thanks.

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 4:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 4:49 PM

Thanks, Martin.

That should work. It's only on a few messages, so not a big deal. In fact, I think the reason it's happening on the current message is that there is a text box at the bottom with a message about being careful about where the message comes from, blah, blah, blah (it's a legitimate message from a university mailing system). That box seems to be controlling the width of the message.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 17, 2020 4:49 PM in response to medwds

Thanks, Martin.

That should work. It's only on a few messages, so not a big deal. In fact, I think the reason it's happening on the current message is that there is a text box at the bottom with a message about being careful about where the message comes from, blah, blah, blah (it's a legitimate message from a university mailing system). That box seems to be controlling the width of the message.

Feb 17, 2020 4:37 PM in response to TonyCr46

Some messages, particularly mail-outs from companies, are created like web pages and have either a fixed width or a minimum width set by the sender for aesthetic reasons. I don't think you can make them wrap, and this isn't unique to Apple Mail. Of course, you can always double-click a message to open it in a new window, and then make that full screen.

Apple Mail not wrapping lines

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.