Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with Automator script that adds filename to title in Photos

Hi all,

I am brand new to MacBook. I have MacBook Air running Catalina 10.15.3. I finally gave up on Migration Assistant to migrate my data from PC to Mac after days and days of troubleshooting and am moving via thumb drive. I started copying over my pictures and found that some were not copied. So I tried to do a comparison between the list of pictures in my folder in Photos against the thumb drive and realized the issue with the names != titles which is how they are sorted. I have read a lot of the posts regarding the script that can be ran. I think I figured it out and when I do 'run' it runs, but my photos are not being changed. I apologize if this has been answered, but all the posts I have found are a couple years old. One thing I do see that is different between the screen shots from couple years ago of the 'service' is that there are two additional fields present. Any help on what these two fields should be?

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 6:47 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Feb 18, 2020 10:10 AM in response to KristinW8

To add the file name to the title field of photos in a Photos library use one of these AppleScripts:

Script: Batch Changing the Titles to the Filenames with Extension (Dec 19,2018)

Script: Changing the Title to the Filename without Extension

The scripts compiled as applications can be downloaded from this tutorial site:  P01 - Applescripts from Photos’ User Tips Compiled as Applications

The script will not work on photos that are in Smart Albums. You should Control (right) - click on the app and select Open from the contextual menu the first time you try to run it. It may take two tries at that.

These apps work with Photos V 5.0 on Catalina 10.15.3.

Feb 18, 2020 12:25 PM in response to KristinW8

My Automator Quick Action looks like this:

With these settings the action can be run from the touch bar. The two fields you are asking about are only available on a Mac with touch bar.

The option "Image > Action" is adding the quick action to the Actions menu in the touch bar, and the color "Red" makes it stand out in Red, when I tap the Actions button in the touch bar.

TheQuick Action will run, when I select a photo in Photos, then tap the "Actions" button in the touch bar.

Help with Automator script that adds filename to title in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.