cannot rename image file using finder

Hi All -

I could use some insight from the community with a problem I've bumped into these last few days. I cannot rename some image files using finder. Here's a summary

Working with jpg files exported from Photos to a local folder on this iMac

Incorporating these image files into Pages document

image files present in photoslibrary on iMac internal SSD storage

cannot click to edit the file name

rename does not appear after right click

Some of these image files have been around for two years, which means I migrated them from my previous iMac about 18 months ago. Other image files are recent, and have been resident on my iPhone, iCloud photos, and this machine. I have not been able to narrow it down to any one specific batch of photos.

It occurs to me that the affected files may in some way have become corrupt on export from Photos.

I have a simple workaround via Preview. I can open the files in Preview and export them as jpg. However, this is a lot of work! I'm building a technical book 370 pages, 1.4 GB, in Pages.

I would estimate that 100 image files are affected. At least one image file that I exported a second time via Preview subsequently developed the same symptoms after a few minutes.

Images with information about this Mac, Pages, and Photos follow.

Thank You!

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 4:57 AM

Why export an image from Photos to a folder when in Pages, you can use the Media tool, choose Photos…, and single-click an image in your Photos library and have it automatically inserted into Pages?

In the Finder, you click once on an image, and press return. This selects the base filename of the image and you can click anywhere in the filename and replace the name with another name string. This is also what happens when you right-click on an image and choose Rename from the secondary Finder menu.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 2, 2023 4:57 AM in response to iGardener

Why export an image from Photos to a folder when in Pages, you can use the Media tool, choose Photos…, and single-click an image in your Photos library and have it automatically inserted into Pages?

In the Finder, you click once on an image, and press return. This selects the base filename of the image and you can click anywhere in the filename and replace the name with another name string. This is also what happens when you right-click on an image and choose Rename from the secondary Finder menu.

cannot rename image file using finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.