Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ok to "move to trash" outdated apps with the circle/slash?

I just moved all my old stuff onto my new MacBook Pro and there are lots of outdated apps that can't be supported. It's my first day with the new machine and I'm nervous to just move all the circle-slashed apps to the trash... but I can and should, right? They are useless now, like the old version of iMovie which has a new replacement. Right?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 17, 2020 11:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 4:54 AM

share-your-art wrote:

I just moved all my old stuff onto my new MacBook Pro and there are lots of outdated apps that can't be supported. It's my first day with the new machine and I'm nervous to just move all the circle-slashed apps to the trash... but I can and should, right? They are useless now, like the old version of iMovie which has a new replacement. Right?

Yes you can move them to the trash— no harm.

With the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, applications will have to be 64-bit. App developers will issue updated apps if they want their apps to work on this newest macOS upgrade

32-bit app compatibility with macOS... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2020 4:54 AM in response to share-your-art

share-your-art wrote:

Yes you can move them to the trash— no harm.

With the release of macOS 10.15 Catalina, applications will have to be 64-bit. App developers will issue updated apps if they want their apps to work on this newest macOS upgrade

32-bit app compatibility with macOS... - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208436

Feb 18, 2020 4:09 AM in response to share-your-art

The programs won't run so there's nothing to do but drag them to the trash and empty the trash. While it might have been more 'graceful' to delete them before upgrading it won't do any harm to trash them now. (By graceful, I mean that some of the apps might have uninstallers that would remove all components no matter where they were located. But like the programs, these uninstallers would also be 32 bit and won't run now.)

Ok to "move to trash" outdated apps with the circle/slash?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.