Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export video with AAC audio instead of PCM in Motion 5?

I'm exporting a ProRes 422LT video in Motion. The default setting for the audio is PCM, but I would like to change that to AAC. I can't find any options in the render settings to do this. I know it is possible to export audio-only as AAC but that's not helpful. Thanks in advance!

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 12:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 1:48 AM

If you export the video as any version of ProRes, the audio will be PCM.

If you export H264, it will be AAC.

If you are distributing the video, H264 with AAC makes total sense.

If you are mastering to ProRes it makes sense to keep the audio in PCM rather than the highly compressed AAC. In any case, the difference in size will be negligible compared to the video.

Can you elaborate on why you want this? There may be a way to convert the audio, but honestly I fail to see a point for doing it. Not trying to dismiss or anything, I'd like to know.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2020 1:48 AM in response to tristan j

If you export the video as any version of ProRes, the audio will be PCM.

If you export H264, it will be AAC.

If you are distributing the video, H264 with AAC makes total sense.

If you are mastering to ProRes it makes sense to keep the audio in PCM rather than the highly compressed AAC. In any case, the difference in size will be negligible compared to the video.

Can you elaborate on why you want this? There may be a way to convert the audio, but honestly I fail to see a point for doing it. Not trying to dismiss or anything, I'd like to know.

Feb 18, 2020 2:09 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks Luis, that's exactly what I thought.

The client has sent through a spec sheet asking for the video to be exported as ProRes with AAC audio. I have explained to them that ProRes exports the higher quality LCM and there won't be any issues with playback, but just in case there is some crazy specific reason why they absolutely needed to be AAC I wanted to see my options.

Appreciate your response, thanks!!

Export video with AAC audio instead of PCM in Motion 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.