Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is supposed to happen during DFU and restoring an iPhone?

I'm restoring my iPhone SE using a Mac Mini running Catalina 10.15.3 by setting it in DFU mode: Finder has now detected the iPhone as being in "iPhone Recovery Mode" and I can press the "Restore iPhone" button within Finder.

But what is supposed to happen now? Nothing appears on screen and I can't see if anything is downloading to my Mini or the iPhone.

Is the Mac downloading iOS in the background, how can I tell if I'm doing it correctly?

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 6:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 8:32 AM

The current version of Catalina doesn’t show progress in Finder until after the download completes. I’m sure that will be fixed in a future release. But meanwhile give it some time.

While the phone may or may not be wiped, you can start the process over if you are using DFU mode, which needs only the boot ROM to perform the restore.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2020 8:32 AM in response to Misterar

The current version of Catalina doesn’t show progress in Finder until after the download completes. I’m sure that will be fixed in a future release. But meanwhile give it some time.

While the phone may or may not be wiped, you can start the process over if you are using DFU mode, which needs only the boot ROM to perform the restore.

Feb 18, 2020 7:07 AM in response to Misterar

If you have not pressed the restore button, then nothing is currently happening.

When you press the restore button, Finder should download the most up to date iOS version for the iPhone and when its done, wipe the iPhone and install it.

The progress indicator should appear next to your iPhone's name in the side bar, as a circle being filled in.

Feb 18, 2020 7:14 AM in response to Phil0124

I wrote that incorrectly: I have pressed the "Restore iPhone" button but nothing appears to be happening: There is no indication of the Mac downloading a copy of iOS or really anything happening to the iPhone.

Finder does prompt me with the option to either "Cancel" or "Restore and Update" but when I press the latter nothing appears to happen.

Is the iPhone already wiped once it enters DFU Recovery Mode or can I exit it again, should I?

What is supposed to happen during DFU and restoring an iPhone?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.