Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Get Info>Permission

I just had all my files migrated from my older MacBook Pro to a new one I just bought with more memory. I have a program called "Family Tree Maker 2019." Within this program I have stored various documents and photographs in the FTM 2019 Media folder. But when I went to open the photos on my new MacBook Pro, they wouldn't open. There was a symbol beside them that had the iCloud and down arrow, indicating they were being downloaded from iCloud, but that should not have been necessary since Apple migrated all my FTM data from my old MacBook Pro to my new. Anyway, I couldn't even open the photos in Preview initially. Then, all of a sudden, it opened about 20 photos at once! But when I tried to save any of them (there was no "Save As" option), it told me I couldn't peform that because I didn't have permission. I went to the first photo, clicked on Get Info, unlocked the permission, added my name (not sure why those permissions didn't copy over during the migration), and clicked the lock again, then closed Get Info. This time, when I tried to Save the photo (still did not have the option to "Save As"), it repeated the message that I did not have permission. What could the problem be? I followed instructions from one user online to go into Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility and to select Permissions, but that was not an option when I opened up Disk Utility. Any help would be greatly appreciated...in layman's terms! Thank you! Marilyn

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.12

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 10:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 6:49 PM

Hi there, Marilyn, maybe I can help you.....

You're not going to believe this, but.... the default for your hard drive is write only....

so, click once on your hard drive..... so that it is highlighted. then press Apple+ I key on keyboard... a long window should come up on the screen. at the bottom of this is Sharing and Permissions. You will need to click on the lock at the bottom to make any changes to it. You'll also need your main login password, as it will ask you for that. So, click on the lock, it will open, say "Yes", type in password, change the permissions at the bottom where it says name.......Privilege...... at the top......

system....... should be Read and write........

wheel..........read and write.. (don't know what that does, or who this "wheel" person is anyways, but give it a try)

everyone.....read and write.........

when you are done, click the lock to save your changes..... it'll ask you for the password again, type it in, and say "Yes"

and you should be done.....

just for the record, though, Photos are usually opened with Photo (used to be called Photos, but whatever), and preview usually works. If you click on the photo, any photo, and do a Get info on it (apple +I) you can usually tell it what you want to open it with, what program or application, and it usually does it.

I just checked, and Family Tree Maker 2019 works with Catalina, so it should work on your new MacBook Pro.

hope this helps you a bit.....

john b

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2020 6:49 PM in response to mmkrzus

Hi there, Marilyn, maybe I can help you.....

You're not going to believe this, but.... the default for your hard drive is write only....

so, click once on your hard drive..... so that it is highlighted. then press Apple+ I key on keyboard... a long window should come up on the screen. at the bottom of this is Sharing and Permissions. You will need to click on the lock at the bottom to make any changes to it. You'll also need your main login password, as it will ask you for that. So, click on the lock, it will open, say "Yes", type in password, change the permissions at the bottom where it says name.......Privilege...... at the top......

system....... should be Read and write........

wheel..........read and write.. (don't know what that does, or who this "wheel" person is anyways, but give it a try)

everyone.....read and write.........

when you are done, click the lock to save your changes..... it'll ask you for the password again, type it in, and say "Yes"

and you should be done.....

just for the record, though, Photos are usually opened with Photo (used to be called Photos, but whatever), and preview usually works. If you click on the photo, any photo, and do a Get info on it (apple +I) you can usually tell it what you want to open it with, what program or application, and it usually does it.

I just checked, and Family Tree Maker 2019 works with Catalina, so it should work on your new MacBook Pro.

hope this helps you a bit.....

john b

Get Info>Permission

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.