Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black screen when using Screen Sharing

I am trying to use Screen Sharing between two Macs on my home network. Now Screen Sharing always brings up a black screen. They are both running Catalina. This always worked until I replaced my iMac with a new one this week

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 18, 2020 3:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 11:37 AM

Hello Kenneth Epstein,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with screen sharing.

Please start by turning all the screen sharing settings off. Turn Mac screen sharing on or off - Apple Support

Then, restart both computers. How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support

Once restarted, use the first article and re-enable all the settings. Please ensure you follow the steps from the article as the above article is specific to macOS Catalina.

Then, you can try setting up another screen sharing session: Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2020 11:37 AM in response to Kenneth Epstein

Hello Kenneth Epstein,

Thanks for asking the Apple Support Communities for help with screen sharing.

Please start by turning all the screen sharing settings off. Turn Mac screen sharing on or off - Apple Support

Then, restart both computers. How to turn your Mac on or off - Apple Support

Once restarted, use the first article and re-enable all the settings. Please ensure you follow the steps from the article as the above article is specific to macOS Catalina.

Then, you can try setting up another screen sharing session: Share the screen of another Mac - Apple Support

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Black screen when using Screen Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.