Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I change a video thumbnail in iPhone photos

I importing my digital scans of home videos into Photos.  Some of my videos begin with a second or two of black until the image shows up, but the black image is shown as the thumbnail (or preview) when I see the video in the list in Photos.

Can this be changed to show a frame that I chose instead of the first frame of the video?

I'm thinking something similar to how albums have the option to "make key photo"

iPhone 8

Idiots OS 13.2.3

iPhone 8

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 1:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 3:22 AM

There is no command to set a key frame for a video in Photos on the iPhone, but you could trim the video and remove the black frames at the start: Edit photos and videos on iPhone - Apple Support

Trim a video

1. In Photos, open the video, then tap Edit.
  2. Drag either end of the frame viewer, then tap Done.
  3. Tap Save Video to save only the trimmed video, or tap Save Video as New Clip to save both versions of the video (iOS 13.3).

To undo the trim after you save, open the video, tap Edit, then tap Revert.

Note: A video saved as a new clip can’t be reverted to the original.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 19, 2020 3:22 AM in response to Brixton_Apple_Hirnis

There is no command to set a key frame for a video in Photos on the iPhone, but you could trim the video and remove the black frames at the start: Edit photos and videos on iPhone - Apple Support

Trim a video

1. In Photos, open the video, then tap Edit.
  2. Drag either end of the frame viewer, then tap Done.
  3. Tap Save Video to save only the trimmed video, or tap Save Video as New Clip to save both versions of the video (iOS 13.3).

To undo the trim after you save, open the video, tap Edit, then tap Revert.

Note: A video saved as a new clip can’t be reverted to the original.

How do I change a video thumbnail in iPhone photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.