Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

An internal Messages error occurred.

Messages will no longer load on my iMac, Mojave 10.14.6. Out of the blue it just stopped working. Read many of the posts on here, tried everything, but like others before me, nothing worked.

ANY NEW SUGGESTIONS?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 12:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 7:41 PM

Reboot your Mac Before doing anything

Turn off message in iCloud

Run message==>go to Preferences==>iMessages==>settings==>uncheck "Enable message in iCloud.

SIng out iCloud and then sing into message

Run message=>go to preference..==>imessages==>settings., and click sing out button

try again

5 replies

Feb 22, 2020 6:01 AM in response to movieguy-13

Hey there movieguy-13,

Thanks for reaching out to Apple Support Communities. I understand you’re having issues opening the Messages app on your Mac. I’ll be happy to help with this.

If you can’t open an app on your Mac, go through the steps in this link:

If you can’t open an app on Mac

Have you tried opening Messages in a new user account or safe mode? Try both to verify:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

If this doesn’t help, you can reinstall macOS using the steps from the following link. While this should retain your user settings and files, it’s always a good idea to make a backup before doing this:

How to back up your Mac

Reinstall macOS

I hope this helps.

Feb 24, 2020 8:57 AM in response to AppleTricks

Great solution! Unchecking "Enable message in iCloud" seems to do the trick.

I read your post after I took a different route, as my Messages App would not load.

Rebooting and turning off Messages first is a much easier route.

My route was

Login to the GuestUser account, (Activate this account in System Permissions/Users & Groups image below)

See if Messages app loads. If it does, continue. (asks for account information, but you don't need to set this up.)

Still in GuestUser account, Go to User/Library/Messages and

copy the Messages folded into your main account Public/Drop Box (image below).

Log out of GuestUser and go back to main User Account

Go to User/Library/Messages and move the existing Messages folder to a safe place (so it can be put back if desired).

Drag the GuestUser account copy of Messages folder from my Public/Drop Box and place it into my User/Library/

Reboot iMac,

Open Messages app

Immediately go to Messages Preferences and uncheck "Enable message in iCloud."

Drawback to my method was you loose your Messages history on this machine.

I hadn't thought to use your route (much better).

Thanks!

GuestUser account User/Library/Messages had a clean Messages folder

GuestUser account on your iMac:

An internal Messages error occurred.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.