Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012 - can't update OS X

Hi,

I haven't used my Macbook Pro in a while so decided to reformat from scratch. I now have OS X 10.8.5 installed however the programs I now need to install require 10.10.X. (I was previously on Yosemite).

I haven't been unable to update from 10.8.5 to anything higher as it says “This update requires OS X version 10.9”.  I can only find OS X 10.9.1 from the apple download centre and when trying to install that it says I need OS X 10.9 which doesn't seem to be available for download. Am I missing something? 

I read here https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250060842 that I can upgrade from 10.8.5 straight to Mojave OS X 10.14.2 but when I downloaded it from the download centre it says the file is corrupt.

Does anyone know how I can upgrade from OS X 10.8.5 to OS X 10.10.X?

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.10

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 7:11 PM

4 replies

Feb 19, 2020 10:23 PM in response to elwar1

Hello, elwar1.

I think this Apple support document can get you where you're trying to be:

How to upgrade to OS X Yosemite (Mac OS X 10.10) - Apple Support

And once you get to 10.10 Yosemite, you probably do want to upgrade to El Capitan or High Sierra as Niel has suggested above. I'd probably hold off on the jump to Catalina for now, though, just to get your apps and backups in order.

Feb 19, 2020 10:28 PM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks DI.

I think the problem was that I was trying to install the updates to later OS X versions rather than the OS X itself.

I've installed OS X Mojave but now I have another problem where it has a spinning wheel after login and won't boot up.

I tried first aid which didn't resolve it so now I'm reinstalling Mojave again to see if that resolves the issue.

MacBook Pro 13-inch, Mid 2012 - can't update OS X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.