📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Game apps won’t close on first slide up?

So certain game apps will not close on the first slide up? Why is this allowed?

The new iPhones come with no physical buttons and so I need to swipe up to close apps, badabing badaboom there are some apps that don’t close on the first swipe up at all, anytime you do it.

Tried restarting device

Restarting app

Reinstalling app

My device and all apps are updated.

Anyy help?

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 19, 2020 7:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 12:31 PM

That’s not wat I said.

The apps in question are full screen games and they won’t become dormant when I swipe up from the bottom.

Its taking 2-4 swipes to make them dormant.

I don’t need to make them close, just need to make them dormant with one swipe as all the other apps do.

3 replies

Feb 22, 2020 1:36 PM in response to samtronxindia

Hey samtronxindia,

Thanks for replying and the clarification, we appreciate it.

I have what seems to be the same issue with a game app also. Sometimes it takes a swipe or two for the bottom white bar to appear, which then the next swipe up will work.

Verify that the app is up to date: Update apps or use automatic downloads

Then contact the app developer and let them know what's happening. They may not realize it, or can explain why it happens.

How to contact an app developer

Enjoy your day!

Feb 22, 2020 12:02 PM in response to samtronxindia

Hi samtronxindia,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have a question about closing apps, and I'd like to do what I can to help.

When you swipe up on an app, when it's full screen, it's not being closed. You are redirected to the Home screen and the app goes dormant in the background.

To close the app, you would need to go to the App Switcher, and swipe up from there. Take a look at this article, as it has some great information on how apps work when not in use: Switch apps on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

There isn't really any reason to close an app when not in use any longer, if wanting to prevent usage.

Take care!

Game apps won’t close on first slide up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.