Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Download photos from iCloud in jpeg format

I can not download the photos from iCloud to my Mac in jpeg format. Can anyone help?

thank you

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 6:28 AM

dimitra_rgs wrote:

Hi Donv.
yes I did that but I get the HEIC format even if I chose the most compatible option.

"Most Compatible" means a format compatible with the system where you are downloading the files. A Mac with macOS 10.15 Catalina is compatible with HEIC, so you will get the HEIC version. This is the preferred format for downloading the files on a Mac with Catalina, because the files are only having half the size of a JPEG and you will get the highest possible quality, without the JPEG artefacts, that are created by the conversion to a JPEG.

The quickest way to convert the HEIC files to JPEGS would be to import them all at once into a new, empty Photos Library and then select them all together in Photos and use the command "File > Export > Export ... Photos". In the Export dialog select "Kind > JPEG" and Original Size and a High or Maximum Quality.

Once you exported the photos, you can delete the Photos Library you used for the conversion.

But if you want your photos in the JPEG format, set the iPhone to take the photos as JPEG, so you do not need to convert them during the download and lose quality.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2020 6:28 AM in response to dimitra_rgs

dimitra_rgs wrote:

Hi Donv.
yes I did that but I get the HEIC format even if I chose the most compatible option.

"Most Compatible" means a format compatible with the system where you are downloading the files. A Mac with macOS 10.15 Catalina is compatible with HEIC, so you will get the HEIC version. This is the preferred format for downloading the files on a Mac with Catalina, because the files are only having half the size of a JPEG and you will get the highest possible quality, without the JPEG artefacts, that are created by the conversion to a JPEG.

The quickest way to convert the HEIC files to JPEGS would be to import them all at once into a new, empty Photos Library and then select them all together in Photos and use the command "File > Export > Export ... Photos". In the Export dialog select "Kind > JPEG" and Original Size and a High or Maximum Quality.

Once you exported the photos, you can delete the Photos Library you used for the conversion.

But if you want your photos in the JPEG format, set the iPhone to take the photos as JPEG, so you do not need to convert them during the download and lose quality.

Download photos from iCloud in jpeg format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.