Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HOW TO CREATE ITUNES LIBRARY FOLDER

I just installed the latest version of I-Tunes. I have no songs as yet, and it wants me to create a folder. I tried creating a new folder under C.Users>Name>Music>ITunes and called it "ITunes Media". When I select "Choose Library" at this location, nothing happens. I am unable to open the app. I eventually want to tie it in to my Apple Music account and sync it with my my AM library as I would my iphone. I am using Win 10. Can anyone help with what I am missing here?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 1:48 PM

When iTunes is first installed and run it will create a new empty iTunes library in the user’s Music folder. The library file will be called iTunes Library.itl and the initial media folder will be User’s Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. If you attempt to shift-start-iTunes to choose a library in a new location before the .itl file has been created, or try to choose a folder with no .itl inside then it won’t work. At this stage it may be best to delete the iTunes folder and simply launch iTunes. It should create a new empty library. If not it should prompt you to make one. Create a library called iTunes in the User’s Music folder. If you sign into your Apple ID, authorise your computer, and turn on iCloud Music Library you should see your Apple Music library in the cloud.

Alrernatively see Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community to move/copy your library from your previous computer which will capture all of the parts of the library that Apple Music doesn’t.

tt2

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2020 1:48 PM in response to JAWONE48

When iTunes is first installed and run it will create a new empty iTunes library in the user’s Music folder. The library file will be called iTunes Library.itl and the initial media folder will be User’s Music\iTunes\iTunes Media. If you attempt to shift-start-iTunes to choose a library in a new location before the .itl file has been created, or try to choose a folder with no .itl inside then it won’t work. At this stage it may be best to delete the iTunes folder and simply launch iTunes. It should create a new empty library. If not it should prompt you to make one. Create a library called iTunes in the User’s Music folder. If you sign into your Apple ID, authorise your computer, and turn on iCloud Music Library you should see your Apple Music library in the cloud.

Alrernatively see Move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Community to move/copy your library from your previous computer which will capture all of the parts of the library that Apple Music doesn’t.

tt2

HOW TO CREATE ITUNES LIBRARY FOLDER

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.