Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I find the path to referenced photos?

I'm aware about the concept of referenced photos vs actually imported photos.

To clean up, I had to combine three libraries into one, I used the excellent PowerPhotos app for this.

In the final library of some 5,000 pics I have around 350 that are referenced, i.e. the original is stored elsewhere. I have a collection of several older drives, plus some disk-images of drives. How can I find out which of the many disk volumes contains the external photos.

The two commands "Find referenced files" or "Consolidate" do absolutely nothing, other than offering me a file opening dialog.

What's the path to the pics?

Posted on Feb 20, 2020 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 3:11 PM

The Find Referenced File command will not work if the file location changed, or even the disk name changed.

Best I can suggest:

In Photos copy the File name of one of those “missing” images from the Info pane.

With (some of) the external drives connected, paste the file name into Spotlight search.

Whatever the location of that file is, it’s also likely to contain more of the “missing” files.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2020 3:11 PM in response to Mike.Minh

The Find Referenced File command will not work if the file location changed, or even the disk name changed.

Best I can suggest:

In Photos copy the File name of one of those “missing” images from the Info pane.

With (some of) the external drives connected, paste the file name into Spotlight search.

Whatever the location of that file is, it’s also likely to contain more of the “missing” files.

Feb 22, 2020 1:49 AM in response to Rysz

Photos will only manage the image files for you, if you let it do it by copying the photos into the library package. When decide to manage the photos on your own and import them as referenced, it is up to you to keep track of them. You will be in for a lot of trouble whenever you need to move the files, if the drive is filing up or you need to replace it, if the drive starts failing, or you need to restore the files from a backup. A referenced library is a doisaster waiting to happen.

There are additional limitations:

• Photos cannot delete the original, when you delete the image from from the library. The referenced file will be left behind.
  • You cannot use iCloud Photos with a referenced library. A. mixed library (only some referenced items) may cause Photos 5 on Catalina to get stuck on the icloud sync.
  • Photos 5 on macOS 10.15.2 has a bug and cannot show referenced files on the map.

How can I find the path to referenced photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.