Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Change location of referenced photos

I recently upgraded from a 2007 iMac to a MacBook Pro and had to move my aperture library over (I'm using Retroactive on Big Sur).

This is a referenced library and I have all the raw photos in a folder on my external drive but not in the location aperture expects to find them (which is a file path on the old iMac).

How do I make these raws be seen in their new location?

Posted on Feb 1, 2021 3:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 2, 2021 1:19 AM

Have you tried to use the tool "File > Locate Referenced Files"?

It will show you a window with the previous path to the missing originals in the upper part of the window, and in the lower part of the window you can navigate to the new location, after you select a file in the upper part.

If you find the new location click "Reconnect All". For example:

If you are lucky, it will reconnect all images in the same folder.

It is a bit broken in Aperture on Big Sur. Aperture should be showing previews of the image files, so we can see, if the images match. That does no longer happen for me.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 2, 2021 1:19 AM in response to NoahOnTheB

Have you tried to use the tool "File > Locate Referenced Files"?

It will show you a window with the previous path to the missing originals in the upper part of the window, and in the lower part of the window you can navigate to the new location, after you select a file in the upper part.

If you find the new location click "Reconnect All". For example:

If you are lucky, it will reconnect all images in the same folder.

It is a bit broken in Aperture on Big Sur. Aperture should be showing previews of the image files, so we can see, if the images match. That does no longer happen for me.

Feb 2, 2021 1:10 AM in response to NoahOnTheB

In theory, the correct way to do this would be to move the images first, using the Relocate Masters command.

It's been a long time since I used Aperture but I think that now you might need to view an image in a project at full size. When Aperture complains that it cannot find the image it will offer you a window to locate it. Use that and that should find all the images in the Project. You may have to do this on a project by project basis.

Change location of referenced photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.