Combine Pictures from Two Libraries on Different External Hard Drives

I moved all my pictures to from an external hard drive DRIVE 1 to DRIVE 2, but didn't have the checkbox selected to actually move them. Instead they are just referenced. DRIVE 2 now has my entire library which includes other pictures, but cannot index the pictures from DRIVE 1 when it is not plugged in. Is there any way to move them without manually deleting all of these pictures and readding them?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 19, 2023 3:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 6:06 AM

You could plug the Drive 1 with all pictures in, the open the Photos Library on Drive 2, which is referencing the photos on Drive 1. Now consolidate the referenced photos by copying them into the library.

To find all referenced photos quickly in one place, create a new smart album:

• File > New smart album
  • Set the rule to "Photo is Referenced".

Open the new smart album, then select several photos at once in this album and use the command "File > Consolidate". This will copy the referenced files into your currently open library.

Repeat the consolidate for more images, until all referenced items have been copied into your library and are no longer referenced.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 6:06 AM in response to marminio

You could plug the Drive 1 with all pictures in, the open the Photos Library on Drive 2, which is referencing the photos on Drive 1. Now consolidate the referenced photos by copying them into the library.

To find all referenced photos quickly in one place, create a new smart album:

• File > New smart album
  • Set the rule to "Photo is Referenced".

Open the new smart album, then select several photos at once in this album and use the command "File > Consolidate". This will copy the referenced files into your currently open library.

Repeat the consolidate for more images, until all referenced items have been copied into your library and are no longer referenced.

Combine Pictures from Two Libraries on Different External Hard Drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.