Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Finder Keeps Interrupting Other Apps

Since the MacOS 10.15.3 update, the Finder on my normally problem-free 27" iMac keeps interrupting whatever app I have open and becomes the active application. For instance, just typing this message was a chore because Safari kept switching to the Finder for no apparent reason. It actually seems to be occurring with increasingly shorter intervals between instances.

I have performed the usual fixes such as PRAM reset, etc., run Malwarebytes and CleanMyMac to no avail.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions,

Frustrated in Florida

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2020 8:43 PM

What model do you have? To find the complete model information select About This Mac from the Apple menu.

1. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  2. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  3. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  4. Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Combo Update.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2020 8:43 PM in response to FrustratedinFlorida

What model do you have? To find the complete model information select About This Mac from the Apple menu.

1. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  2. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  3. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  4. Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.3 Combo Update.

Feb 22, 2020 6:56 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy,

Thanks so much for your advice. I had run Disk Utility, however, not within the context of Recovery Mode. In that fashion it took much longer and seemed to result in a much more thorough first aid. I'm pleased to report that I was able to get back to work and have not had the problem that all but crippled my ability to get anything done since I followed your sterling advice.

Not so frustrated anymore, but still in Florida

Finder Keeps Interrupting Other Apps

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.