Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil rear tip became yellow

I’ve not been using my new Ipad pro with Apple Pencil for about a week and now I’ve discovered pencil’s upper tip got kinda yellow-ish. Also it cant be cleaned with water. What could cause it and what to do?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 2:55 AM

9 replies

Feb 22, 2020 3:55 AM in response to Koropatel

This is entirely cosmetic - and as such is unlikely to be considered a warranty defect.

Discolouration of plastics is not uncommon - and is generally something that occurs, over time, in white brominated plastics. Generally, plastics that are evenly exposed to moderate UV light retain their appearance better than those continuously shaded from light. Affected objects that are unevenly exposed to UV, in a static position, tend to discolour more on the shaded side.

Here is an external link that describes the effect:

https://medium.com/@pueojit/a-look-into-the-yellowing-and-deyellowing-of-abs-plastics-db14b646e0ad

The plastics used in Apple products tend to better than most, but are not immune.

I hope you find this information helpful.

Feb 22, 2020 4:26 AM in response to Koropatel

The free, one-year Apple accessory warranty still applies no matter where you purchased.

So, I would try an Apple Store, first. Take your purchase receipt as proof you purchased two weeks, ago.

If they tell you to bring it back to the place you originally purchased, then you will need to do this and you would need the sales receipt for that store, anyways.

Best of Luck to You!

Apple Pencil rear tip became yellow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.