Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving an Open Folder to the Trash/Bin

Hi People,

I've often wondered this and never asked before: Is it possible to move an open folder (containing files) from the desktop to the trash, from that open folder window? Or do you always have to locate the folder icon on your desktop and move it from there?

Frequently after I've been working with open folders on my desktop and no longer need them or their contents, I've wanted to drag that open folder to the trash/bin icon (that doesn't work) or right click in the folder and have the option to send them to the trash that way (that doesn't work either). It would be an extremely useful thing to be able to do and much quicker than having to 'find' the folder icon on a desktop that's completely full (sometimes you just can't spot what's in front of your eyes).

Is there any way to do this?

Thanks

iMac 27", macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 22, 2020 6:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 7:21 AM

Keyboard shortcuts are your friend.

When the desktop folder you wish to trash is open and focused, you can press command-up arrow (⌘↑) to open the enclosing folder which would be the desktop.

Then command-delete (⌘delete) will send it to the trash.

You can do this without even lifting your finger from the command key.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2020 7:21 AM in response to Anthony Shaw1

Keyboard shortcuts are your friend.

When the desktop folder you wish to trash is open and focused, you can press command-up arrow (⌘↑) to open the enclosing folder which would be the desktop.

Then command-delete (⌘delete) will send it to the trash.

You can do this without even lifting your finger from the command key.

Feb 22, 2020 7:04 AM in response to Anthony Shaw1

There is no means to move an open folder to the Trash, without first, right-clicking on its Desktop icon, and choosing Move to Trash.

Although personal choice, it is a bad habit to use the Desktop as a filing cabinet. Each icon on the Desktop is treated by the operating system as though it were an open window, and consumes additional resources.

Starting with macOS Mojave (10.14), Apple introduced the concept of Stacks, which like coalescing mercury, pulls like items into single stack icons. So, all PDF are in a PDF Documents stack, which you click once to see all PDF, or click again to hide them. This is done for screenshots, documents, images, etc.

As you are posting in a Catalina community, you can right/control-click on any file on your Desktop and from the secondary menu, select Use Stacks. Repeat this to deselect Use Stacks.

Feb 23, 2020 6:38 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thanks for the reply Viking.

I don’t exactly use my Desktop as a filing cabinet, but I do put files and folders there temporarily to remind me to deal with them. ‘Temporarily’ has a tendency to become ‘semi-permanently’ though 🤔 

After trying some things, I did discover that with an open folder I can choose ‘Enclosing Folder’ from the Go dropdown section of the Finder menu (or more quickly, press ⌘↑) then right click on the folder’s icon in that window and Move to Bin from there. After doing that with all my open folders, I press ⌘ alt W to close all windows. What I was trying to discover was the quickest way to do it, using the fewest keystrokes.

The information about Stacks is very interesting and I will definitely investigate that more.

Thanks again.

Moving an Open Folder to the Trash/Bin

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.