Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPad with obsolete email/forgotten password

How to I reset an old iPad to factory settings when my email address is no longer valid and I’ve forgotten the password? I purchased a new iPad a few years ago and I want to give my old iPad to my hubby. I changed my email address after we got married and now I can’t sign in to change the info. My old email is no longer viable.

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 10:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 10:18 AM

Whether the email used to set up that iPad is still valid or not makes no difference. It's the Apple ID used when the iPad was set up. As long as you can remember what that email address was, you can use this link for a reset of the Apple ID Password --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

To prepare the iPad properly to give to your husband, after you've signed back in, use this link --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you still cannot recall the email address you used when you set up the iPad (the activation lock page gives you a major hint, like y***********@hotmail.com), then find the original purchase receipt from when you bought the iPad with the iPad serial number on it, taking it and the iPad to Apple for help.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2020 10:18 AM in response to Terried16

Whether the email used to set up that iPad is still valid or not makes no difference. It's the Apple ID used when the iPad was set up. As long as you can remember what that email address was, you can use this link for a reset of the Apple ID Password --> If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

To prepare the iPad properly to give to your husband, after you've signed back in, use this link --> What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

If you still cannot recall the email address you used when you set up the iPad (the activation lock page gives you a major hint, like y***********@hotmail.com), then find the original purchase receipt from when you bought the iPad with the iPad serial number on it, taking it and the iPad to Apple for help.

Feb 23, 2020 12:41 PM in response to Terried16

I understand that. You need to know what that old email address was and the Apple ID Password. You should be able to remember the email address, but if you can't remember the ID Password, I provided a link you can use to help you get it reset. You have to ask Apple to help with that. But you need to know the email address, which is why they give you the hint on the Activation Lock page. Otherwise, you'll have to provide Apple the original purchase receipt with the iPad serial number on it, or the device will likely be useless.

Old iPad with obsolete email/forgotten password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.