Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I need apple to unlock my iphone AT&T has it locked

AT&T has my phone locked and I have never had service with AT&T.

I paid $2400 for 2 iphones out right. Never on a purchase plan for the phones. Apple needs to step up and unlock the phones. Clerks at At&t are no help at all. I have been working on this for 4 days.

iPhone X, iOS 12

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 12:29 PM

15 replies

Feb 24, 2020 9:00 AM in response to kevinc325

This article from AT&T about unlocking their phones. The fifth sentence in third paragraph explains it. You have to be on AT&T network service for at least 60 days before AT&T will unlock phones. Important details

1. Eligibility requirements
  2. Wireless, business & non-AT&T customers
  3. Requirements for unlocking AT&T phones, tablets, and mobile hotspots.
    • Your device isn’t reported lost or stolen, or involved with fraud.
    • You must complete your contract or installment plan (including early termination fees). Or, pay off an installment plan early and then make another unlock request in 24 hours.
    • Your device isn’t active on another AT&T account.
    • If you upgraded early, wait 14 days to unlock your old device. Business customers wait 30 days.
    • Your service must be active for at least 60 days with no past due or unpaid balance.
    • AT&T PREPAID℠ (formerly GoPhone®) devices must have at least 6 months of active service.
    • If you’re military, we’ll ask you to email your TCS or PCS (Temporary / permanent change of station) documents for eligibility. You won’t have to complete installment plans or contracts.
    • If you have a business-owned device, your company must authorize you to unlock it.
  1. AT&T reserves the right to deny any unlock request that it concludes would result in an abuse of this policy or is part of an effort to defraud AT&T or its customers. AT&T further reserves the right to alter this unlocking policy at its discretion without advance notice. If during any one month, more than 100 requests are made from a single source, and if more than 10% of those requests are duplicate IMEI numbers, AT&T will no longer process unlock requests from that source.

Feb 23, 2020 3:57 PM in response to Demo

I bought them from Target Mobile with Consumer Cellular as the carrier. I realize that the carrier is supposed to unlock it but I never had service with AT&T. So far At&t has only said they can not unlock it with no explanation as to why.

Apple could create an unlock and I think they should where someone can prove they do not owe anything on a phone that was purchased outright and a lock is placed by a carrier never used.

Feb 23, 2020 4:02 PM in response to kevinc325

The fact that you paid full price for a phone does not guarantee it being unlocked. You are confused about that point. As far as the phones being locked to AT&T, that one would be on Target, as to what devices they sold you. I know that Consumer Cellular is an MVNO, and can use different major carriers. You need to find out from them about the unlock. Who told you they were locked to AT&T? They are probably correct about not knowing about the lock if you were with Consumer Cellular. They are the ones that need to "step up", not Apple. Apple does not unlock phones, the carriers do.

Feb 24, 2020 3:43 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Apple, At&t and Consumer Cellular all have checked and agree that the phone is locked by At&t.

My point to Apple is that they are the Adult in the room and actually have the capability of unlocking any iphone. Apple chooses to let me fight it out with At&t.

The key here is I should have bought the phones from an Apple Store where they would have been unlocked to start with. Apple says that even if they were locked and purchased from them they would unlock them for me.

Consumer Cellular says they can not unlock the phones from At&t because I did not purchase the phones from Consumer Cellular I bought them from Target Mobile. I spent 2 1/2 hours at Target Mobile trying to get them to unlock the phones to no avail.

Feb 24, 2020 5:07 AM in response to kevinc325

kevinc325 wrote:

Apple, At&t and Consumer Cellular all have checked and agree that the phone is locked by At&t.

My point to Apple is that they are the Adult in the room and actually have the capability of unlocking any iphone. Apple chooses to let me fight it out with At&t. Apple does not have the legal right to remove the carrier lock. Only the carrier it is locked to can do that. If it is locked to AT&T and you don't meet their requirement for unlocking, then it can not be unlocked.

I need apple to unlock my iphone AT&T has it locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.