Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos / Places not working

Hi, since upgrading to Catalina, when I go into the photos app, if I go into "Places" it no longer shows thumbnails next to any of the locations of the map. I used to like this function but cant seem to get it to work anymore. Does anyone know how to do it?

Am running version 10.15.3, iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) and have approx 4,000 photos in the app.

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 4:31 PM

9 replies

Feb 26, 2020 2:13 PM in response to ianw082

As a test launch Photos with the Option key held down and create a new, test library.  Import some photos and test to see if the same problem persists. Does it? (This tells us if the problem is limited to your current library or is more wide spread)

Next log into another user account, Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac and see if the problem persists there. (This tells us if the problem is limited to your user account or is system wide).

Mar 2, 2020 4:41 AM in response to ianw082

The places map will not show any thumbnails, if your Photos library is referenced. This is a known bug in macOS 10.15.3 Catalina.

Did you perhaps disable the option "importing: Copy items into the Photos Library" in the Photos Preferences > General? The phots you imported this way will no longer be visible on the Places map. You could use the command "File > Consolidate" to copy the originals into your photos Library. Then the thumbnail should appear on the map, provided the photos have been imported with GPS coordinates assigned.

Photos / Places not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.