Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make keynote background transparent once exported

I am trying to make the background of my keynote slide transparent so that I can overlay it onto a video in iMovie, but when I export by:

1. Selecting no fill for the background (turns it black)
  2. Selecting export> movie> custom resolution> apple ProRes 422 (which is what is suggested on another post here)

It just gives me a small movie file that is a completely black screen. Also when I try importing it in to iMovie, it stays a black screen.

When I try the same as above, but select apple ProRes 4444 instead, it gives me an option to select a box that says 'export with transparent backgrounds' which I select, but the same thing as before happens; completely black screen.

Am I doing something wrong or am I missing a step?

Thanks in advance :)

Posted on Feb 23, 2020 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 7:43 AM

To export video with a transparent background from Keynote, you must use Apple ProRes 4444, this is the only CODEC that will work.

Create a  transparent background in keynote

1 - place the required content on the slide

2 - go to Inspector > Format, in the Background dropdown menu select: no fill (a black background will show)

3 - go to File > Export > Movie

in the Resolution dropdown menu select: Custom

select the option for Apple ProRes 4444

select the option for Export with transparent background

click on Next

type in a file name

click on export

In iMovie

1 - import the video file exported from Keynote

the thumbnail and preview image of the transparent clip from Keynote will show a

black background to show that transparency is present

2 - place a still image or a video clip on the timeline to use as a background

3 - place the video file exported from Keynote on to the timeline, above the existing still image or video clip

4 - play back the timeline

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2020 7:43 AM in response to ellamujer

To export video with a transparent background from Keynote, you must use Apple ProRes 4444, this is the only CODEC that will work.

Create a  transparent background in keynote

1 - place the required content on the slide

2 - go to Inspector > Format, in the Background dropdown menu select: no fill (a black background will show)

3 - go to File > Export > Movie

in the Resolution dropdown menu select: Custom

select the option for Apple ProRes 4444

select the option for Export with transparent background

click on Next

type in a file name

click on export

In iMovie

1 - import the video file exported from Keynote

the thumbnail and preview image of the transparent clip from Keynote will show a

black background to show that transparency is present

2 - place a still image or a video clip on the timeline to use as a background

3 - place the video file exported from Keynote on to the timeline, above the existing still image or video clip

4 - play back the timeline

Make keynote background transparent once exported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.