Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (15 inch) Freezing and Shutting Down Randomly

I asked a question a couple of months ago about my Late 2013 MacBook Pro that keeps shutting down randomly. Well, I had Apple Genius Bar replace the battery, but that did not fix the problem. The only thing that changed is now it freezes before it shuts down. Before the screen would go black, then it would shutdown.

What I am wonder about now is that the last shutdown code is -128. The genius at the Apple Store said that means the power rail on the logic board is bad. I can't find anything about the -128 code except for a list of shutdown codes that says "possible memory error" and may be relate to -112 error. Before I go out and buy a logic board, can someone verify that code is relate to the logic board?

Thanks,

Ron

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 12:29 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 5:23 AM

Ron Koron wrote:
Even if it is a memory problem, then I would have to replace the logic board anyway. If it is not memory/logic board, then I'm in it for over $600 with nothing to show for it. So, the question is do I replace the logic board or trade in to Apple and get a new machine.

Do you think they will not give me trade in i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶?̶ Looks like a have a hard decision to make.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro that keeps shutting down randomly.

As long as as it boots up, there are no follow up question—Apple Trade In - Apple

See what they will offer you on line, after you send it in only then can you compare what they will offer.

In this regard I suspect you will be ok.

The machine will get a full work over only after it goes to refurb.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2020 5:23 AM in response to Ron Koron

Ron Koron wrote:
Even if it is a memory problem, then I would have to replace the logic board anyway. If it is not memory/logic board, then I'm in it for over $600 with nothing to show for it. So, the question is do I replace the logic board or trade in to Apple and get a new machine.

Do you think they will not give me trade in i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶y̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶r̶a̶n̶d̶o̶m̶l̶y̶ ̶s̶h̶u̶t̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶d̶o̶w̶n̶?̶ Looks like a have a hard decision to make.

Late 2013 MacBook Pro that keeps shutting down randomly.

As long as as it boots up, there are no follow up question—Apple Trade In - Apple

See what they will offer you on line, after you send it in only then can you compare what they will offer.

In this regard I suspect you will be ok.

The machine will get a full work over only after it goes to refurb.

Feb 24, 2020 5:08 AM in response to Ron Koron

Ron Koron wrote:

I asked a question a couple of months ago about my Late 2013 MacBook Pro that keeps shutting down randomly. Well, I had Apple Genius Bar replace the battery, but that did not fix the problem. The only thing that changed is now it freezes before it shuts down. Before the screen would go black, then it would shutdown.

What I am wonder about now is that the last shutdown code is -128. The genius at the Apple Store said that means the power rail on the logic board is bad. I can't find anything about the -128 code except for a list of shutdown codes that says "possible memory error" and may be relate to -112 error. Before I go out and buy a logic board, can someone verify that code is relate to the logic board?

Hmm.. There is scant documentation here.

-128 Possibly linked to memory issue. If the issue is persistent, try replacing the RAM with known-good if your hardware has removable RAM.

-112 Memory issue. Almost always occurs around -128, another memory issue. Almost certainly hardware fault. See -128 for troubleshooting.

Do you have "Kernel Panics" ???

— predominately caused by hardware faults or faulty third-party kernel extensions.

If your Mac spontaneously restarts or displays a ...or shuts down unexpectedly - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT200553

You can post your Kernel Panic report in their entirety here, preferable three separate reports in three separate "Additional Text" box (see menu below) for ease of reading and comparison. A single report may be useful but does not establish a trend for a meaningful diagnosis.

Kernel Panic reports can be found /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

From the Finder>Go>Go To Folder, copy and paste:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

ends in .panic post the whole report —this may be telling.

I will add you can try running the Diagnostic/AHT http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

if you took it in I suspect however Apple's on the back of the bench test called AST (Apple Service Toolkit) are more comprehensive then the "user AHT."

If it proves to be memory (RAM) issue your only course of action is replace the board if you want to repair it all RAM is soldered to the logic board— (or trade it in as is Apple Trade In - Apple and buy a new machine?)

Feb 25, 2020 12:30 AM in response to leroydouglas

Leroy,

It is not crashing, so there is no kernel panics. I do not see any in the logs and there are no .panic files in /Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports. It just seems to do a normal shutdown whenever it wants.

I ran the Apple user Diagnostic/AHT that you mentioned and it did not find any issues. However, when I click on "get started" it launches Safari and says it's connecting, but it never completes.

Anyway, I think you answered my question in your last paragraph. Even if it is a memory problem, then I would have to replace the logic board anyway. If it is not memory/logic board, then I'm in it for over $600 with nothing to show for it. So, the question is do I replace the logic board or trade in to Apple and get a new machine. Do you think they will not give me trade in if they find that it is randomly shutting down? Looks like a have a hard decision to make.

Thank you for your help....

MacBook Pro (15 inch) Freezing and Shutting Down Randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.