Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with Macintosh HD - Data after catalina clear reinstall

Hey guys. I had catalina installed on my macbook pro and there was just a Macintosh HD - Data in finder which was empty first and i used it as personal volume. No problem. But for some reason i reinstalled the Catalina which means the hard drive need to be erased. Now after installing new Catalina, there is a Macintosh HD instead of Macintosh HD - Data in Finder and there is system files in there. Disk utility shows 2 volumes Macintosh HD and Macintosh HD - Data. I can open Data volume using right click -> show in Finder, but the location (/system/volumes/data) again is filled with system folders . It's literally the same location as Macintosh HD but it's writable. How can i have a empty Macintosh HD - Data in Finder again?

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 1:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 2:20 AM

You should never have had an empty HD Data folder. It must have been a bad install.

Macintosh HD is your read-only system volume, Macintosh HD Data contains all your User Documents, Pictures, Movies, Downloads etc and your ~/Library.

They are APFS containers and your Data shows in finder under Macintosh HD Users

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2020 2:20 AM in response to Yatsomi

You should never have had an empty HD Data folder. It must have been a bad install.

Macintosh HD is your read-only system volume, Macintosh HD Data contains all your User Documents, Pictures, Movies, Downloads etc and your ~/Library.

They are APFS containers and your Data shows in finder under Macintosh HD Users

Feb 24, 2020 3:00 AM in response to Yatsomi

If you really want you can create any other folders under Users/[your user name] folder.

Like my Ukulele folder below. You don't have access outside your User folder unless another user grants you access to theirs.

No different to Mojave or Sierra in that respect

(My Documents and Desktop do not show as they are now in iCloud Drive)

Problem with Macintosh HD - Data after catalina clear reinstall

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.