Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor does not display at its native resolution

I just purchased the LG 34'' Class Curved 21:9 UltraWide® QHD (3440 x 1440) Nano IPS Monitor https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34WK95C-W-ultrawide-monitor and my MacBook Pro 2017 does not let me choose the right resolution for that monitor (3440 x 1440). Does anyone know whether this is because my MacBook Pro’s graphic card does not support that kind of resolution or whether I need a driver? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 6:48 AM

Your computer's capabilities:

Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution:4096x2304 (x2*)

Details:* In addition to simultaneous support of the internal display, this model supports a maximum resolution up to 4096x2304 at 60 Hz at millions of colors on two external displays or 

single external display at a maximum resolution up to 5120x2880 at 60 Hz at over a billion colors via Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.3-13-mid-2017-retina-display-no-touch-bar-specs.html

Your display's input ports:

INPUTS/OUTPUTS

• Headphone Out Yes Display Port Yes
  • USB-C Yes USB Up-Stream (ver 3.0) Yes x1
  • USB Down-Stream (ver 3.0) Yes x2 HDMI Yes x 2

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets, and has been stretched to go higher, with wildly varying results.

If you have it available, always use DisplayPort family for best results

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2020 6:48 AM in response to josuecarames

Your computer's capabilities:

Dual/Mirroring* 2nd Max. Resolution:4096x2304 (x2*)

Details:* In addition to simultaneous support of the internal display, this model supports a maximum resolution up to 4096x2304 at 60 Hz at millions of colors on two external displays or 

single external display at a maximum resolution up to 5120x2880 at 60 Hz at over a billion colors via Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C).

https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i5-2.3-13-mid-2017-retina-display-no-touch-bar-specs.html

Your display's input ports:

INPUTS/OUTPUTS

• Headphone Out Yes Display Port Yes
  • USB-C Yes USB Up-Stream (ver 3.0) Yes x1
  • USB Down-Stream (ver 3.0) Yes x2 HDMI Yes x 2

HDMI was invented for HD TV sets, and has been stretched to go higher, with wildly varying results.

If you have it available, always use DisplayPort family for best results

Feb 25, 2020 7:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant,

I did not know about that website and that helps a lot. So, it seems that technically speaking, I should be fine as the native resolution of the new monitor is 3440 x 1440. Additionally, if I were to be short on pixels, I could always close my MacBook Pro and use the external monitor as the only monitor. I just finished talking with Apple Support and they confirmed that my graphic card should be enough to power that external monitor. I need to do is to troubleshoot my OS to make sure that my system is not the issue and then follow up with the manufacturer (LG) as they may need to provide further support here.

Again, thank you Grant.

External monitor does not display at its native resolution

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.