Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cameras lagging on Facetime

So my FaceTime on my iPhone 8 is sometimes lagging, but not in a normal way: the other person is clear as day, but my feed is lagging both on her screen and my mirrored view. This does not happen when use the camera app during the times it lags like this, only FaceTime. I do notice it happens often when I have it on my Nomad wireless charging dock. It gets warm on that charging dock, could that be the issue?

iPhone 8, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 24, 2020 7:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 4:43 AM

I know this, but my problem is not with the internet connection, as the other person is crystal clear on my screen, and both of our audio signals are also crystal clear. The problem is that both on her screen and my own screen, my camera is lagging. As in the only way it would be an internet thing is if the feed was being sent from my camera, through the internet (which has great connection) and BACK to my own phone, which is an extremely inefficient way to look in a mirror, and I doubt that is the case.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2020 4:43 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

I know this, but my problem is not with the internet connection, as the other person is crystal clear on my screen, and both of our audio signals are also crystal clear. The problem is that both on her screen and my own screen, my camera is lagging. As in the only way it would be an internet thing is if the feed was being sent from my camera, through the internet (which has great connection) and BACK to my own phone, which is an extremely inefficient way to look in a mirror, and I doubt that is the case.

Feb 25, 2020 6:46 AM in response to CSeeboth

You say that your camera works fine otherwise, and this happens when on the charging dock. So it would seem there isn't a problem with your camera. Is it when it is on the charging dock the only time this occurs, or does it occur otherwise? I wonder if this wireless charging is interference for the camera? I'm not aware of any other method to troubleshoot the camera. Can you connect your Apple USB cable to the iPhone and test FaceTime to see if it happens then, and also test without charging the device to see if it happens? As far as the heating is concerned, Anytime you do FaceTime you will get some heat from the device, this is normal. The use of video chat causes the processor to work harder, and thus can generate more heat. I wouldn't consider it getting warm unusual.

Feb 24, 2020 7:38 PM in response to CSeeboth

The quality of video in a FaceTime call is going to be dependent on the wi-fi connection between the two devices. This internet connection and speed of the connection is going to affect how video looks. And degradation of the connection on either end will change how things look. If it goes down too far, then you can get an error on the screen about poor connection and it will shut down the video feed temporarily until it improves. If you are trying to do FaceTime on cellular connection this can be especially evident.

Cameras lagging on Facetime

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.