Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new to Mac

I need to learn more abut Mac, any advice

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 6:46 AM

So the Switching to the Mac flavor books, as suggested, would be a good start.

Also the macOS Missing Manual, by David Pogue, that matches your operating system version, is a good introduction.

I strongly suggest if you have a bookstore with a reasonable computer section and a coffee shop, you can browse some Mac related books to see if you like any better than the others before you buy. Or drink lots and lots of coffee and eat lots of snacks in the cafe.

After that Google can find you lots of things. Just include "macos" in any search string and it will give you Mac related instructions.

If you have a very specific question, the http://discussions.apple.com forums, especially if there is a forum specific to your topic, are a very good resource.

Save yourself some future pain, and just avoid Anti-Virus software and Mac cleaners. The volunteers spend a lot of time debugging system problems that are a result of these packages. macOS comes with its own defenses, and unless you are installing software from questionable sources, you are generally not going to experience malware on your Mac.

And you may find this useful:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841>

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2020 6:46 AM in response to mahsalmo

So the Switching to the Mac flavor books, as suggested, would be a good start.

Also the macOS Missing Manual, by David Pogue, that matches your operating system version, is a good introduction.

I strongly suggest if you have a bookstore with a reasonable computer section and a coffee shop, you can browse some Mac related books to see if you like any better than the others before you buy. Or drink lots and lots of coffee and eat lots of snacks in the cafe.

After that Google can find you lots of things. Just include "macos" in any search string and it will give you Mac related instructions.

If you have a very specific question, the http://discussions.apple.com forums, especially if there is a forum specific to your topic, are a very good resource.

Save yourself some future pain, and just avoid Anti-Virus software and Mac cleaners. The volunteers spend a lot of time debugging system problems that are a result of these packages. macOS comes with its own defenses, and unless you are installing software from questionable sources, you are generally not going to experience malware on your Mac.

And you may find this useful:

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

<https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841>

Feb 25, 2020 1:06 PM in response to mahsalmo

In addition to dialabrain's comment, you will also find numerous "transition to" books/articles/etc on the Internet These come in handy if you are already familiar with another operating system, like Windows or Linux, and want a quick start to learning how similar things work like with macOS.

Also, if you have an Apple Store near you, you can check to see what training offerings they may have. They provide either one-on-one or group settings and cover a number of topics for new Apple users.

Feb 25, 2020 6:37 PM in response to BobHarris

thank you very much for your reply. I am very familiar with windows OS. my son purchased a MacBook Pro. I couldn't help him with his new machine. I want know everything to be able to set it up, configure it, backup, restore, control panel, file explorer, etc. I imagine there is video, articles to explain that. in short I want to be very comfortable to use apple product as I am with windows. it is great machine very happy with it but it is a bit confusing to me now.

new to Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.