Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Word for Mac wants additional permissions and changes file name to an "smbdelete" name

I'm running Mohave. I have two Macs that are networked with each other. Office 365-Word documents are located on Mac #1. Mac #2 uses files from Mac #1. Mac #2 has full permissions. Regardless of whether I open a file on Mac #1 or Mac #2, if I open a Word file, make a change, I get a message that Word needs additional permission to save the file, then gives it a name that starts with "smbdelete". The only work around for this is to go to File, then Save As and then either change the name or save over the old file name. 

This just started happening this week. I've tried deleting the files, recreating them, copying/pasting the contents from one file to another, rebooting, closing/restarting Word. Nothing works. I see this problem on the net but have't found any solutions. 

Thanks

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 8:42 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Feb 26, 2020 5:47 AM in response to Wilddrums

It started with Mac #2 initially and it's consistent there. Mac #1 is mostly hit and miss but once that starts with a file, then it's consistent.

Mac version Mohave. 10.14.6

Office Version: Office 365; Word: Version 16.34

The work around is Save As, then save over the old file. Funny this happens with Save and not Save As.

I have no idea what an SMB file is; it appears to be a temporary file. I've had Office 365 for about a year and this just started popping up this week. I also can't tell if this is an Apple problem or a MS problem - of course neither company ever admits they make mistakes. Seems this problem has been around for several Apple software versions. I just want it solved. There are some complicated work arounds - I'm not about to screw around with Terminal.

Does anyone know if upgrading to Catalina solves this problem? I've seen this problem on a few Catalina forums.

Word for Mac wants additional permissions and changes file name to an "smbdelete" name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.