Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What would cause usb ports to slow down?

Ok so MBP '09... been using same usb sticks for a while and they were fast. transferring files was never an issue... but now, omg!

it's taking 30 minutes to transfer 5.35Gigs????

I have tried using them formatted mac os extended journaled... exFat... NTFS (with 3rd party software)... and even MSDOS (FAT). I know anything other than the mac os journaled would be slower, but holy crap they have all come to a crawl and it doesn't matter which usb stick I use?!? I have multiple ones that I have tried:

1. 8Gb Staples
    2. 32Gb Lexar
    3. 32Gb PNY
    4. 16Gb - can't remember, someone else is using it

I am just at a lost... only thing I did recently was upgrade to El Capitan, but everything worked fine for a while so doubt it was that. I used carbon copy to redo my drive once because I had two partitions and couldn't get it back to one big one... but that it?!?

weird...

MacBook Pro 15", OS X 10.11

Posted on Feb 25, 2020 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 9:31 PM

Try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Try the USB sticks while booted into Safe Mode.

Your laptop only has USB2 ports. It was the 2012 MBPro which first received USB3 ports. Maybe your USB hub has a problem or a compatibility issue with the Mac or the USB sticks so try connecting the USB sticks directly to the laptop if you haven't already done so yet.

Writing to USB sticks can be painful, but reading from them should not be as painful. Macs can sometimes be very particular about the USB sticks used.

You should definitely uninstall CMM by following the developer's instructions. These forums are filled with people whose computers were not working correctly due to having CMM installed. Maybe a recent update to the app has caused this issue.

To look for other potential software issues you can also run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Similar questions

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2020 9:31 PM in response to Jagered72

Try a PRAM reset (hold the PRAM reset for at least three chimes).

Try the USB sticks while booted into Safe Mode.

Your laptop only has USB2 ports. It was the 2012 MBPro which first received USB3 ports. Maybe your USB hub has a problem or a compatibility issue with the Mac or the USB sticks so try connecting the USB sticks directly to the laptop if you haven't already done so yet.

Writing to USB sticks can be painful, but reading from them should not be as painful. Macs can sometimes be very particular about the USB sticks used.

You should definitely uninstall CMM by following the developer's instructions. These forums are filled with people whose computers were not working correctly due to having CMM installed. Maybe a recent update to the app has caused this issue.

To look for other potential software issues you can also run EtreCheck and post the report here using the "Additional Text" icon which looks like a piece of paper.

Feb 29, 2020 12:45 PM in response to Jagered72

Good catch! I was going to suggest you remove those items, but I don't see any actual drivers installed. It appears those cleaning apps may have removed them already and left behind the System Preference Panes. Have you checked the System Preferences to see if their respective Preference Pane has an uninstall option? If there are no uninstall options in System Preferences, then check your Applications folder for any third party apps from Seagate, Western Digitial, etc. and if any exist follow the manufacturer's instructions to uninstall them.

I see that the Paragon driver is also associated with FaceBook.

from the EtreCheck report:

Launchd: /Library/LaunchAgents/com.paragon-software.facebook.agent.plist
       Executable: /Library/Application Support/Paragon Software/Paragon Software Facebook Agent.app/Contents/MacOS/Paragon Software Facebook Agent

If there is no uninstall option for this item, then boot into Safe Mode and click on the Finder's "Go" menu and type "/Library". Then in the Finder window which opens navigate to the "LaunchAgents" folder and manually delete the file:

com.paragon-software.facebook.agent.plist

Then navigate back to the previous "Library" folder and go to the "Application Support" folder where you will manually delete the "Paragon Software" folder and all its contents.

Since the EtreCheck report doesn't show any actual NTFS/FUSE drivers as being installed you can manually remove those items/icons (FUSE, MacFUSE, NTFS-3G) from your System Preference Pane. Open the System Preferences and see if you are able to Control-click the respective items and choose "Remove". Otherwise you will need to Option-click on the Finder's "Go" menu and select "Library" (the home user Library folder is hidden except when the Option key is held down and this folder is different from the previously mentioned Library folder). Navigate to the "PreferencePanes" folder and delete the respective items.

If you no longer use a BlackBerry, then you should consider uninstalling the BlackBerry software as well.

If this doesn't help, then try erasing the USB sticks on this Mac. I've seen issues where a USB stick made on another computer may not work well on a Mac (even if it was erased on another Mac). Make sure to erase the USB sticks as one of the following:

• GUID partition and MacOS Extended (Journaled)
  • MBR partition and FAT
  • MBR partition and exFAT

If you still have problems, then remember try reading the USB sticks while booted to Safe Mode as well.

Mar 3, 2020 7:08 AM in response to HWTech

UGH!?!?!

... no difference, actually found worse things happening?! I added a shot of what stuff is in the 'Launch' folders.

So basically, the USB ports have a mind of their own.

• Lexar 32G = after fresh wipe tried transferring 2.6Gs and would take 23mins.
    • Stables 8G = after fresh wipe tried same... 10mins. Then stopped it and tried again... went to 14mins!
    • Tried 2.2Gs on 8G stick again but from the keyboard port... 15mins! Then tried it back in the hub... 23mins!?!?

This is ridiculous.

I searched a few of these other ones and found that the Blackberry agent was still stuck in here even after uninstalling... and there is some adware b.s. also so deleting all of those and trying again!

Q: Do I need all the Adobe things listed in here?

Mar 3, 2020 7:59 PM in response to Jagered72

Performing a clean install of macOS without migrating or restoring from a backup is the best & quickest way to find out if the issue is hardware or software related.

You can create a bootable macOS 10.11 El Capitan USB installer using these instructions:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201372

I never connect any drives or USB sticks to a USB Keyboard port as it is very unreliable.

The multiple seemingly identical folders is common on *nix operating systems with the root Library containing third party items and the home user Library containing user specific items. As for the Adobe items if you don't want them, then uninstall the respective Adobe software according to Adobe's instructions, otherwise I have no clue since I don't have any Adobe products on my system. I'm also not that knowledgeable about Mac software.

Have you checked to make sure the laptop's USB ports are clean?

Feb 25, 2020 8:28 PM in response to Jagered72

Do you have any third party apps that could be scanning the files as they are being transferred. Macs do not need any anti-virus or cleaning apps, they can impede the performance of your mac whilst also contributing nothing in practicality.

Perhaps your HD is beginning to fail, try Drive DX it has a fifteen day free trial.

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

Feb 27, 2020 6:08 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Eau thanks.

The SSD is brand new... although come to think of it I do have Clean My Mac on here, but I had it on before and it did not slow anything down - I've used it for many years even pre-El Capitan.

The absolute only thing I remember being done that might have affected it is when I cloned my drive and put it back on the same SSD.

I had partitioned my drive and was running Yosemite on one partition and El Capitan on another... assuming that if El Capitan was fully functional I would just delete the Yosemite partition. But it didn't allow me to resize the drive and remove that partition?!? Even after wiping it clean... so I had another SSD in an external enclosure, duped the El Capitan partition, wiped my original SSD to a single partition and then re-cloned the drive.

It has worked fine except for the USB ports slowing down. I believe it started around that time.

Other than that, I thought this thing only had USB 2.0 but the profiler lists USB 3.0 for my HUB and a card reader I use??? Removing them did not change the speed of the side ports.

Here are my SSD details:

BigDaddy:

Available: 692.09 GB (692,086,935,552 bytes)

Capacity: 998.56 GB (998,560,907,264 bytes)

Mount Point: /

File System: Journaled HFS+

Writable: Yes

Ignore Ownership: No

BSD Name: disk0s2

Volume UUID: 44EEEDD3-D5CA-3CBE-9C24-26D859640646

Physical Drive:

Device Name: Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB

Media Name: Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB Media

Medium Type: SSD

Protocol: SATA

Internal: Yes

Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)

S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified

Mar 3, 2020 7:27 AM in response to Jagered72

NONE OF THAT WORKED?!?

Grrrrrrr....

Wait, why are there TWO LaunchAgents folders?

One is under SSD>LIBRARY>LaunchAgents (also Launch Daemons)

The other is under Finder>Go>(hold Ctrl)Library

The second one has Google stuff... keystone.agent.plist & keystone.xpcservice.plist.

I highly doubt these are affecting the USB speeds... but what else could be?!? I am so tempted to just wipe this thing and start over with a fresh install... go to Yosemite and then install my software and then upgrade to El Capitan or maybe just go right to El Capitan.

... that's the last resort fix and if that does nothing, this may be used for target practice.

What would cause usb ports to slow down?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.