Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB/mac problems

I was downloading a large file (2gb) to my mac from my usb stick when it got ejected randomly. Now, when I stick the usb stick, it comes up but there's nothing on it. Properties suggests the files are still there - it still says the used up space is 3gb - but I don't see any files. Plus I can't eject the usb from my mac now and have to pull it out to remove it.

Somehow I can still see the files if I use the usb on a windows computer, although it says I can't save anything on the usb e.g. ms word says I need to save any changes elsewhere.

Any chance this incident has damaged my mac? or is it just the usb problem?

Cheers in advance!

MacBook Pro 13", 10.13

Posted on May 10, 2019 1:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 10, 2019 1:41 PM

Have you tried repairing the flash drive with Disk Utility?

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented volume entry (contains the name given) for the flash drive from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 10, 2019 1:41 PM in response to Macuser2806

Have you tried repairing the flash drive with Disk Utility?

1. Restart the computer and after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears.
  2. Select Disk Utility and press the Continue button.
  3. Then select the indented volume entry (contains the name given) for the flash drive from the side list. 
  4. Click on the First Aid tab in the toolbar and wait for the Done button to activate. Click on it, then quit Disk Utility.
  5. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

May 10, 2019 7:26 PM in response to Macuser2806

Do other things work in that USB port?

If your Firewire or USB isn't recognizing any device.  A solution which has worked for some, follow these four steps to reset the Firewire/USB bus:

1. Shut the machine down.

2. UNPLUG the power lead to the computer and any firewire/USB drive or devices.

3. leave it for 10 minutes.

4. Connect back up and reboot. 

http://www.macmaps.com/firewirebug2.html

May 10, 2019 7:34 PM in response to BDAqua

I think there's a problem with the usb - on windows, I did a check (properties->tools-> check now) and it says it detects an error and that I should "check now" again. Unfortunatelty, that doesn't work...

Also, though I can view the files on the usb and even eject it properly from the windows computer, I can't edit any of the files - I have to "save as" if I want the edits to stick.

USB/mac problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.