Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot play Apple TV+ content on Apple TV

I’m travelling with an Apple TV 3G, and I’m trying to play Apple TV+ shows on it, but it doesn’t work. I’ve mostly tried Airplay from a Mac or iPad, but also direct playback on the Apple TV. It either complains about lack of HDR support or says the video format is not compatible. I searched and found that the device is compatible with Apple TV+ with the latest software update, which I have installed. It is connected to a television set which probably doesn’t support HDR, but does it check for that, and is there no way I can watch this content using this setup?

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 2:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 10:18 AM

You can download non-4K, non-HDR version of content by changing the preferences of the Apple TV app on the Mac. This affects new downloads after the change only. Then you can AirPlay an HD SDR version of the content.

HDR support of the TV is irrelevant when using an Apple TV (3rd generation) box. Apple TV (3rd generation) doesn’t support HDR, thus everything through it will be SDR (both in and out).

HDR should not be an issue when playing directly from the Apple TV app on the Apple TV box. Apple TV (3rd generation) will request the SDR version from the servers, not the HDR version.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2020 10:18 AM in response to Knut Harald Støre

You can download non-4K, non-HDR version of content by changing the preferences of the Apple TV app on the Mac. This affects new downloads after the change only. Then you can AirPlay an HD SDR version of the content.

HDR support of the TV is irrelevant when using an Apple TV (3rd generation) box. Apple TV (3rd generation) doesn’t support HDR, thus everything through it will be SDR (both in and out).

HDR should not be an issue when playing directly from the Apple TV app on the Apple TV box. Apple TV (3rd generation) will request the SDR version from the servers, not the HDR version.

Feb 29, 2020 9:16 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Thanks for the information. The whole thing is mystifying to me. Now I am at another hotel. Last night I was able to Airplay some content from my iPad, but not today.

I am still not able to airplay from my Mac even though I have turned off HD and HD are and re-downloaded some content.

but at least I was now able to play Apple TV+ content directly on my Apple TV.

Cannot play Apple TV+ content on Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.