Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop wallpaper keeps changing back to "Island at night".

Suddenly my Catalina version 10.15.3 (19D76) (MacBook Pro Retina, 15 inch, mid 2015) decides to show this picture when I log in during the evening. I tried to change to my own picture which was fine on one log in, but the next time it was back to this "island at night" again. This issue started two days ago. Anyone out there experienced the same thing?

Look, it thinks it is doing the right thing by showing my own chosen wallpaper (a Santorini image):

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2020 11:15 AM

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe: what does Safe Mode do?) and set the desktop picture to what you want. Reboot normally and see if it sticks.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2020 11:15 AM in response to mariafromnynäshamn

Boot into Safe Mode (Use Safe Mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe: what does Safe Mode do?) and set the desktop picture to what you want. Reboot normally and see if it sticks.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 10 minutes as it's doing some system cache cleaning, volume verifying and directory repairing. 

Feb 27, 2020 11:17 AM in response to mariafromnynäshamn

I'm able to access my Pictures folder for additional pics for the Desktop if so desired:

Have you tried adding folders from other parts of your hard driver just as a test? It could be a permissions issue. If that's the case this might be of help: Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

Feb 27, 2020 3:12 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes, the issue is on the second desktop, after the main/basic one.

I wonder if this is some feature that Apple has launched now in February, but they usually notify the users before updates.

Lunch time here in Sweden, the desktop I chose yesterday (from Apple's own gallery) still sits there. I wonder if the silly night island just waits in the background, ready to pop out if I log out and then log back in after 6 pm.

Well, whatever this issue might be I will not go back to PC/Windows again, I love my Mac.

Hugs again!!

/Maria

Feb 27, 2020 10:45 AM in response to Old Toad

Hey, this might solve the problem, I actually did choose a picture from the static gallery yesterday (the coastline one), and it was still on the desktop when logging in after 7pm today!!! Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!

This whole thing is a bit strange though, I don't really appreciate when my Mac behaves like some Windows machine and makes its own random decisions.

I do wonder if it has something to do with updates on the version 10.15.3 because on "about this computer" this little number (19D76) recently appeared.

Well, anyhow - thank you so much for your help and support!!!!

Many hugs and greetings from Sweden

💜💚💙🧡💛

/Maria

Feb 27, 2020 11:17 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes, those are just great!!!!

Hmm, a final thing on the desktop issue - the Mac obviously no longer support wallpapers from my own folders, only during daytime, hahah. This is strange since the option to choose any picture as a background is possible. Only Mac's own suggestions seem to be safeguarded from now on (the static ones i.e.). I really wonder why all this happened, I haven't made any changes in the settings.

Many hugs again!!!

💜💚💙🧡💛

/Maria

Desktop wallpaper keeps changing back to "Island at night".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.