You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot change print quality or grayscale printing

please see 2 attachments. what are the steps to being able to change default to Low quality and grayscale printing.

my laptop will not let me access those features in the right column.

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 27, 2020 8:45 AM

3 replies

Feb 29, 2020 12:59 PM in response to nonya1

Hi nonya1,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand that you're having trouble selecting specific printing options from your Mac. I know it's important to be able to customize how your documents look when printed; I'd like to help. First, I'd suggest reviewing the following resource for how to access and change these settings: Print documents from your Mac

I'd also recommend reviewing the suggestions in this resource, including removing and re-adding the printer, or resetting the print system if necessary: Solve printing problems on Mac

Best Regards.

Mar 1, 2020 12:28 PM in response to rose_10

sorry, that was not helpful.

but.... I did manage to save a preset for my fairly new hp printer with MacBook Pro 2019 at other office - great!

BUT - the printer I'm having issues w/ is the Canon see original post screenshots' please - why can't I access those settings in right column? Is it because the Canon Printer is old?)

Thanks much,

ny

Mar 1, 2020 2:03 PM in response to nonya1

The last printer and scanner drivers that Canon released for the MX870 was for El Capitan 10.11.6 in Fall 2017. These are likely 32-bit drivers considering the timeframe that they were released, and are incompatible with macOS Catalina 10.15 which requires 64-bit drivers. This printer is not supported by Apple's AirPrint either.

You change the preset items from the selections on the main printing panel, and then save current settings as new preset. These cannot be edited as you are attempting to do. This could be a problem if your printer drivers are kaput on Catalina.

cannot change print quality or grayscale printing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.