You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printer options// color vs. black and white

I am unable to print in black and white. No matter how I try to find options for printing all I can get is a very limited menu; destination, pages, copies, paper size, pages per sheet, and scale. no color option or paper type. I have a HP Office Jet Pro 6968 but I can't find any way to access print options on that. How can change print color. I'd like to save colored ink.

Posted on Aug 21, 2019 3:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2019 9:53 PM

Cooperstown74 Said:

I have a HP Office Jet Pro 6968 but I can't find any way to access print options on that. How can change print color. I'd like to save colored ink.

———-

To Print in Grayscale:

Go Here:

[Edited by Moderator]

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2019 9:53 PM in response to Cooperstown74

Cooperstown74 Said:

I have a HP Office Jet Pro 6968 but I can't find any way to access print options on that. How can change print color. I'd like to save colored ink.

———-

To Print in Grayscale:

Go Here:

[Edited by Moderator]

Aug 21, 2019 5:40 PM in response to Cooperstown74

Have you downloaded these drivers, https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1888?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

once downloaded double click to install. Then open System Preferences> Printers & Scanners, click on your printer in the left hand column, and then click on the minus button to remove it. Make sure your printer is connected and switched on, now click on the plus button to add it back in. Click on Options & Supplies then General and see if the Driver Version is 5.0.5, open a document or photo and see if you now have more printing options available.

Failing that just remove the colour cartridge.

Aug 21, 2019 5:49 PM in response to Cooperstown74

Cooperstown74 Said:

"I am unable to print in black and white[...] I have a HP Office Jet Pro 6968 but I can't find any way to access print options on that."

-------

Try using the HP Virtual Agent to find the answer you need.

1. Go to: HP Virtual Agent
  2. Type: I am trying to print in grayscale using my HP Office Jet Pro 6968 on my Mac
  3. Select: Mac OS button
  4. Select: Print only black for one print job button
  5. Select: Print only black for all print jobs button

Aug 21, 2019 5:39 PM in response to Cooperstown74

Most inkjet printers these days use some of the color ink to make a "fuller" black. It is also a good way to sell more ink which is where these companies make their money. I honestly do not know if the printer would respect any software based colorless print option from within macOS. Chances are a software setting will still end up using color ink.

Is there an option on the OfficeJet itself to print using only the black ink cartridge? Check the OfficeJet user manual for available options.

If you do a lot of black and white printing, then you may want to consider a laser printer. I've found the Brother laser printers to be a good reliable inexpensive option.

Printer options// color vs. black and white

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.