Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Being asked for a passcode BEFORE downloading a iOS update on iPad Pro

I don’t remember this being something that has happened in previous updates, can anyone confirm whether this is the usual process?

iPad Pro, iOS 13

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 3:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 3:58 AM

This is likely to be because you have enabled Automatic Updates in your Settings. If you disable Automatic Updates, therefore reverting to manual updates, you are unlikely to see this specific challenge.

iOS/iPadOS has always presented a challenge for your device Passcode at the point of manually installing an OS update. As such, this unexpected challenge may simply be an artefact of selecting Automatic in preference to Manual.

I hope this clarification is helpful to you.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2020 3:58 AM in response to JenC888

This is likely to be because you have enabled Automatic Updates in your Settings. If you disable Automatic Updates, therefore reverting to manual updates, you are unlikely to see this specific challenge.

iOS/iPadOS has always presented a challenge for your device Passcode at the point of manually installing an OS update. As such, this unexpected challenge may simply be an artefact of selecting Automatic in preference to Manual.

I hope this clarification is helpful to you.

Being asked for a passcode BEFORE downloading a iOS update on iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.