Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

27' Late 2015 iMac running slow - Help please?

27' Late 2015 iMac running slow

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 3:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2020 3:51 PM

Remove AVGAntivirus per their directions then hunt down any remnants by running etrecheck again.

https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=8803&p=115715&hilit=avg#p115715

Also see if this improves...

Free RAM: 20 MB

9 replies

Feb 29, 2020 3:33 AM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua

You are a star and thank you for your help!

I uninstalled AVG Free incorrectly by just dragging to the bin and emptying it.

I have gone through and got all the other AVG bits lying around and deleted them... I think.

It does on first impression seem to be running a lot faster without continuing to get the spinning beachball :o)

I restarted my system and rerun Entrecheck which I have attached the report.

Thank you very much for your help!

Regards Leslie

On the Major Issues below should I be doing anything with these:

Gatekeeper disabled - Gatekeeper security protection is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Apple security disabled - Apple security software is disabled. This computer is at risk of malware infection.

Likewise on the Minor Issues below should I be doing anything with these:

These issues do not need immediate attention but they may indicate future problems or opportunities for improvement. 

Unsigned files - There are unsigned software files installed. They appear to be legitimate but should be reviewed.

Low performance - EtreCheck report took an unusually long time to run.

32-bit Apps - This machine has 32-bits apps will not work on macOS 10.15 “Catalina”.

Limited drive access - More information may be available with Full Drive Access.

Feb 29, 2020 4:12 PM in response to Allan Jones

Dear Allan

Thank you for your help and advice :o) I have attached new Etrecheck Report.

Allan your comments re the hard drive, this is a replacement hard drive that Apple fitted, details below.

I have had this MacIntosh over 2 years from new and I have never been happy with it from day 1.

It was running sluggish from the get go and I felt the hard drive was failing, after many many hours online with many different genius's and hours spent on the phone I was getting nowhere until I eventually stumbled on Entrecheck myself and when I ran the check, the report came back with hard disk failing. I had previously spoke with Apple many times about this, saying I felt the drive was failing but they would not have it, eventually I showed them the Entrecheck report and my mac was just out of warranty, but they honoured it and I took it into Apple Store Liverpool and they replaced the hard drive, I do believe they did this as the serial number was different, but when I got home and tried the mac I did not notice much difference in performance.

Where you commented:

I have concerns about your hard drive. Although it has a 7200rpm platter speed, it is a slow 3GBps model connected to a logic board with a fast 6GBps drive bus.It should be somewhat faster than shown in both reports, especially the "Write" speeds:

This has gone over my head a bit but would the replacement hard drive tally with what you are saying above?

Thank you

Feb 29, 2020 11:35 AM in response to Lezzeppelin

Leslie, On Gatekeeper...

https://www.hendrix.edu/HelpDesk/Computers_and_Devices/Mac_Computers/Disabling_and_Enabling_Gatekeeper_for_Mac_OS_X/

Etrecheck report looks pretty good, I;d...

Safe Boot from the HD, (holding Shift key down at startup), does the problem occur in Safe Mode?

Safe mode attempts to repair Disks & clears lots of caches, so if Safe Mode works try again in regular boot.

Feb 29, 2020 12:04 PM in response to Lezzeppelin

I have concerns about your hard drive. Although it has a 7200rpm platter speed, it is a slow 3GBps model connected to a logic board with a fast 6GBps drive bus.It should be somewhat faster than shown in both reports, especially the "Write" speeds:

Performance:

System Load: 2.12 (1 min ago) 1.61 (5 min ago) 0.79 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 5.56 MB/s

File system: 80.57 seconds

Write speed: 56 MB/s

Read speed: 77 MB/s

We have a geriatric 2011 iMac 21.5 (entry level that year) that has the same config--a slow 3GBps, 7200rpm drive on a fast 6GBps logic board bus--and it scores higher:

Performance:

System Load: 1.62 (1 min ago) 1.67 (5 min ago) 1.87 (15 min ago)

Nominal I/O speed: 0.05 MB/s

File system: 38.28 seconds

Write speed:  112 MB/s

Read speed:  91 MB/s

It is possible your drive is starting to have issues. It may be that residuals of the anti-virus software are slowing things, but that comparison show a rather large difference between two drives that should have similar performance.

Feb 29, 2020 4:09 PM in response to BDAqua

Hi BDAqua

Thank you.

I guess the drive is slooooow and I cannot access "Security & Privacy preferences pane" because entrecheck says:

Minor Issues

Encrypting or decrypting - A drive is currently encrypting or decrypting. The computer may run more slowly than normal until the process finishes.

I have attached the full report.

Regards

Leslie

27' Late 2015 iMac running slow - Help please?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.