Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone 11 magnetic back

Noticed that my iphone 11 is already magnetic -- It stuck to my magnetic mount without adding any magnetics-- is this safe?

Posted on Mar 2, 2020 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2020 12:03 PM

Ever since the iPhone 8, these devices support wireless charging as per the Qi standard. Works thru a magnetic coil located on the back of the phone and is the reason why all these have glass backs as well. If it is sticking, will probably be due to that setup and not because Apple thoughtfully put a magnet in there for you. In other words, I would not trust the phone to 'stay stuck' safely for any length of time. More so if this is on a car/bike/etc., where the motion can result in the phone flying off when least expected.

If you are not going to take advantage of the so convenient wireless charging capability, ever, better stick the added magnetics to be safe. Or use some setup where those can be removed and reattached when charging.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2020 12:03 PM in response to 911starr

Ever since the iPhone 8, these devices support wireless charging as per the Qi standard. Works thru a magnetic coil located on the back of the phone and is the reason why all these have glass backs as well. If it is sticking, will probably be due to that setup and not because Apple thoughtfully put a magnet in there for you. In other words, I would not trust the phone to 'stay stuck' safely for any length of time. More so if this is on a car/bike/etc., where the motion can result in the phone flying off when least expected.

If you are not going to take advantage of the so convenient wireless charging capability, ever, better stick the added magnetics to be safe. Or use some setup where those can be removed and reattached when charging.

iphone 11 magnetic back

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.