Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the Ram used for besides my apps.

Computer says I am using to much Ram and need to shut down some of my apps when I do not have any open. What all is Ram used for?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 3, 2020 6:47 PM

11 replies

Mar 5, 2020 9:24 AM in response to S.Frigolett

First, you need to know that the model you have is the slowest Mac that Apple offers, a 5400 rpm hard drive and only 8 GB of RAM.

So we're starting out at a disadvantage. Let's see if there's any 3rd party software that might not be wise to have on your computer. Download and run Etrecheck. Etrecheck is a diagnostic tool that was developed by one of the most respected users here in the ASC and recommended by Apple Support  to provide a snapshot of the system and help identify the more obvious culprits that can adversely affect a Mac's performance.

Copy the report

and use the Add Text button to include the report in your reply. How to use the Add Text Feature When Posting Large Amounts of Text, i.e. an Etrecheck Report

IMPORTANT:

Before running Etrecheck assign Full Disk Access to Etrecheck so that it can get additional information from the Console and log files for the report:

ALSO IMPORTANT:

Then we can examine the report and see if we can optimize the performance of your iMac.

Mar 4, 2020 10:04 AM in response to S.Frigolett

The simplest explanation is that RAM holds the operating system (the program that makes the computer run), all the programs you have launched, and any data you've loaded into the programs you are running (which includes Web sites in your browser). As I said, that's the simple explanation but it does get a bit more complex than that. In the real world we might have launched 4 programs but we can only use one of them at a time so the operating system can move data from RAM to the hard drive to free up space. This is known as virtual memory. As convenient as VM is, it has limitations so it cannot replace the need for real RAM.

The message you received means that between the operating system, the applications you were running, and the data you had loaded, the computer was no longer able to hold everything necessary in RAM and virtual memory was being used to the fullest extent possible. Two simple ways to avoid seeing this message is to limit the number of open tabs you have in your browser and to quit programs you aren't actively using.

Mar 7, 2020 10:22 AM in response to dwb

Thanks dwb for taking time to answer my inquiry?

I did not have any browser opened when I was getting the beach ball on my screen. I had adobe photoshop and the adobe photoshop browser opened. Photoshop and the browser kept on crashing. Between the beach ball and my applications crashing my computer finally just stayed at the beach ball whirlling.

I took the computer to my local ubreakifix. They did not find anything but said I needed more ram.

I am still trying to get to the bottom of this without adding more ram.

Sandy

[Link Edited by Moderator]

What is the Ram used for besides my apps.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.