Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I open greyed out pdf in iPages on my iPad

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2020 4:54 AM

Okay...

If using the file-browser within the Pages App (per your screenshot - it says “Pages” at the top of the left-hand browser pane), any files that are “greyed-out” are not compatible with - and cannot be opened by - the Pages App. Only files that Pages can open are not ghosted.

If instead you open the native Files App on your iPad (at the top of the left-hand browser pane it will say “Browse”) and navigate to the same location/path in your filesystem - all files in this path will be accessible; the PDF files will not be greyed-out - and can be opened by your iPad using its native PDF reader.

The “subtle” differences between the file-browser of Pages (also applies to the Keynote and Numbers productivity Apps) and the full Files App often catch-out the unwary.

If you wish, you can also install one of the dedicated PDF Apps that are available within the Apple App Store - one of the best known and recognisable being Adobe Reader (which is also essentially free). This will provide an alternative App with which to open PDF files.

Does this answer your question and solve the problem?

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2020 4:54 AM in response to northworthy

Okay...

If using the file-browser within the Pages App (per your screenshot - it says “Pages” at the top of the left-hand browser pane), any files that are “greyed-out” are not compatible with - and cannot be opened by - the Pages App. Only files that Pages can open are not ghosted.

If instead you open the native Files App on your iPad (at the top of the left-hand browser pane it will say “Browse”) and navigate to the same location/path in your filesystem - all files in this path will be accessible; the PDF files will not be greyed-out - and can be opened by your iPad using its native PDF reader.

The “subtle” differences between the file-browser of Pages (also applies to the Keynote and Numbers productivity Apps) and the full Files App often catch-out the unwary.

If you wish, you can also install one of the dedicated PDF Apps that are available within the Apple App Store - one of the best known and recognisable being Adobe Reader (which is also essentially free). This will provide an alternative App with which to open PDF files.

Does this answer your question and solve the problem?

Mar 4, 2020 5:58 AM in response to LotusPilot

Fantastic - thank you so much. I now have the Files App blue folder located in my “”Dock” at the bottom of my home screen and can read all my files. I very much appreciate the support you have given me.

On a last note: why when I created those greyed pdf’s did they appear as an attachment file on the email I wishes to send appear not as a pdf icon but as a Pages icon?

And, why do pdf’s sometimes appear on the email when I click “attach” they do not appear as an icon but as a fully opened readable text?

Mar 4, 2020 3:44 AM in response to LotusPilot

I am not too proficient in IT (66yrs young) but:

I open Pages and go to one of my folders in there. In are three documents that I shared via an email, so I converted the document by opening “share” and clicking on PDF format. And then emailed them out.

Now when I go into to the folder those are shown as “ghost” greyed out files and when I click to open they do not.

Mar 4, 2020 4:13 AM in response to northworthy

Here is a link to the online iPad User Guide for iPadOS - and the process to take a screenshot. Your iPad may have a different iOS version (?) but the principal is the same:

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/ipad/ipad08a40f3b/ipados

Once you have your screenshot image, you can attach it here using the little “picture” icon that you’ll find on the bottom egde of this “reply” window.

Mar 4, 2020 5:43 AM in response to northworthy

If the Files icon is not on one of your Home screens, or on the Dock at the bottom of the screen, then you can use the iPad Search function to find it.

To search the iPad from any Home screen, simply, touch the screen - anywhere except near the edges - and “drag” your finger downwards; the Search dialogue will appear at the top of the screen.

In the Search box, just type “files”; you should see the Files icon (and if hidden in a folder, its location) as the first item.

Mar 4, 2020 6:16 AM in response to northworthy

So your original problem is now solved?

As to your new questions...

Without knowing the precise workflow that was adopted - and the specific details of any file attachments, it is difficult to speculate on any observed behaviours. The native Mail app makes internal decisions based upon file-type and file-size (and, occasionally such as how the wind was blowing last Sunday); I’m not being facetious, but very often with the Mail App it is difficult to predict exactly how an attachment will be handled.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.