Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to rename playlist

How to solve a bug in the music.app for Mac? I cannot rename any playlist. Restating the Mac did not help. Trying another user on the same Mac (who had no music library before = fresh) did not help either.

Any ideas?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 11:33 PM

Hi PsyDye,

thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried again the normal way: Sidebar, click on Playlist, little pause, click again on playlist … No renaming enabled. And by the way: Same goes for renaming a playlist folder.

Then, I tried a another way: click on playlist in sidebar, click within the playlist window on the playlist name at the top … That worked. I can rename the name there and after that it changes in the sidebar, too.

So, I have a solution ! But it seems, this is still a bug, as it makes no sense for me, that the functionality of renaming directly within the sidebar, should be somehow taken away by Apple.

Thank you again for your help.

Have a fruitful day.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2020 11:33 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi PsyDye,

thanks a lot for the reply.

I tried again the normal way: Sidebar, click on Playlist, little pause, click again on playlist … No renaming enabled. And by the way: Same goes for renaming a playlist folder.

Then, I tried a another way: click on playlist in sidebar, click within the playlist window on the playlist name at the top … That worked. I can rename the name there and after that it changes in the sidebar, too.

So, I have a solution ! But it seems, this is still a bug, as it makes no sense for me, that the functionality of renaming directly within the sidebar, should be somehow taken away by Apple.

Thank you again for your help.

Have a fruitful day.

Mar 5, 2020 4:44 PM in response to Fujimaki23

Hi Fujimaki23,

Thanks for reaching out in Apple Support Communities. I understand you're having trouble renaming playlists in the Music app on your Mac. I also see that you've tested for the behavior in a new user and it persists. I know it's important to be able to update your playlist names; I'd like to help. What steps are you taking to rename your playlists? I ask because you should be able to edit both playlist folder names and playlist names using these steps:

• Open Music.
  • Select the playlist you want to rename from the sidebar.
  • In the primary window click on the current playlist name; you should be given an option to edit.

If you're unable to use these steps to edit playlist names, try starting your Mac in safe mode and test for the behavior there: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue seems to be resolved, restart your Mac normally and test again.

Let me know what you find.

Best Regards.

unable to rename playlist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.