Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel panic on 2018 Mac mini

Just had a kernel panic on my new Mac mini:

{"caused_by":"macos","macos_version":"Mac OS X 10.15.3 (19D76)","os_version":"Bridge OS 4.2 (17P3050)","macos_system_state":"running","incident_id":"XXXXXXXXXXXXX","timestamp":"2020-03-05 23:59:27.61 +0000","bug_type":"210"}

{

"build" : "Bridge OS 4.2 (17P3050)",

"product" : "iBridge2,5",

"kernel" : "Darwin Kernel Version 19.3.0: Tue Jan 7 22:39:04 PST 2020; root:xnu-6153.81.3~2\/RELEASE_ARM64_T8010",

[SNIP]

Anyone else seen this? I found an old post from January of last year with only one "me too" reply...

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Mar 5, 2020 4:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 9:36 AM

Just to close the loop on this - Apple replaced the motherboard on my mini and all is working as expected now. I suspect the Bridge OS on the T2 chip had become corrupt in some way and that was causing the crash. There apparently isn't really a field-installable way to fix that kind of issue.

23 replies

Jun 22, 2020 9:23 AM in response to Lexvold

Hey all, I was able to solve the crash on sleep issue, although my solution probably isn't ideal.

After creating a new partition and installing Catalina on it, I found I had the same issue still, so I tried to restore my device to a time machine backup pre-security update. This restore failed and left my computer essentially bricked.

To even be able to access internet recovery I had to restore the firmware on my Mac mini by connecting a 2019 MBP via USB-C and running Apple Configurator on the laptop. Apple has instructions detailing the process here https://support.apple.com/sq-al/guide/apple-configurator-2/apdebea5be51/mac

The restore process will wipe your HD, which was fine for me since it was inoperable anyway. Once restored, I was able to access internet recovery and download Mac OS, although, by default, it downloaded Catalina. I just took the plunge and stuck with the upgrade, however perhaps its possible to install 10.14 at this stage as well with a boot-drive, or downloading and partitioning your drive later, I just haven't tested it.

It seems the shutdown problems stemmed from a bug or corrupt line of code in the Bridge OS (since the T2 controls sleep and shutdown, its possible that trying to communicate these features from the T2 Bridge OS to the x86 processor created fatal errors.) From what I understand, Apple Configurator is the only way to reset the firmware of your device, which I have a feeling may involve reinstalling the Bridge OS as well.

Anyway, this is my solution, my Mac mini has operated as intended for the past 3 weeks now. Hope this helps!

Mar 5, 2020 7:29 PM in response to bazaarsoft

Hello,

Macintosh models with a T2 chip (such as the Mac mini 2018) also run a secondary operating system called Bridge OS. This exclusively runs on the T2 chip and communicates with macOS to perform various tasks that the T2 chip is responsible for. It appears that Bridge OS has crashed. Is this problem persistent or was this a one time occurrence?

Apr 16, 2020 7:48 AM in response to bazaarsoft

I was getting this error on MacBook Pro. After replacing twice, the 3rd machine worked OK. It's been almost a year since I had this problem. Now I've had ii twice in 2 days! It happens after a long sleep. Thankfully it isn't happening during the day when I'm working. I remember the days when you could trust Apple. Lately they have been having a lot of problems with software updates.

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1

Processor Name: Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 6

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 9 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 16 GB

Boot ROM Version: 1037.80.53.0.0 (iBridge: 17.16.13050.0.0,0)

Serial Number (system): C02XM6GJJG5J

Hardware UUID: 2047D28B-7867-5A6E-B942-B9CDFA4FFE6B

System Version: macOS 10.14.6 (18G3020)

Kernel Version: Darwin 18.7.0

Boot Volume: Macintosh HD

Boot Mode: Normal

Computer Name: MacBook Pro 2018

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled

System Integrity Protection: Enabled

Time since boot: 12 minutes

Jul 17, 2020 9:12 AM in response to bazaarsoft

At about 8 AM this morning (Fri. July 17) I installed the latest Security Update 2020-004 on my Mac Mini 2018. I shut it down and went to get groceries. I started it up about 1 hour later, AND THE BUG AND KERNEL MESSAGE GREETED ME.

It is not fixed.

Is Apple now prioritizing bug fixes based on product sales statistics? Are the products with small markets not even important enough to fix bugs? Bugs the Apple has installed into our Macs? I'm so disheartened that Apple has treated us like this.

Jul 17, 2020 9:37 AM in response to bazaarsoft

Unfortunately, I marked this as solved too soon. I'm still getting the random reboot crashes, it's just less frequently. About once a month, I get a freeze immediately followed by a reboot. I haven't installed the latest update (2020-004) as yet, but it sounds like that won't solve the issue. I'll install it anyway and hope that it doesn't make things worse. Apple doesn't seem too concerned with this, which is very worrisome.

Kernel panic on 2018 Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.