Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

fake FaceTime/iMessage popup whenever I connect to the internet

hello

Brand New! MacBook Pro 16, 2019, latest system version : macOS 10.15.3 (19D76).

I noticed today some updates were available for some of the built in applications on the App Store. So I created an Apple ID to sign in and update (as I was asked to do).

When I created the account I received an email from "noreply@email.apple.com" alerting me that iCloud was signed into via my computer. I understood it was a phishing attempt (although I must add the email was neat and they used my personal name and surname in it) so I did not click on the link.

BUT I made a different mistake and loaded the "remote content" an apple logo on the side fo the message. the immediate result was a fake popup ON MY COMPUTER.

And now the fake popup reappears each and every time I Turn on the computer and connect to the internet. What do I do now Fellas?

NB. I have FireVault turned on, firewall turned on, a firmware passcode in place and to top it off all of this happened on an account that has no administration authority. Needless to say I didn't succumb to this "trick" and I eliminated the Apple ID immediately.

What do I do fellas?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Mar 7, 2020 1:29 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 7, 2020 2:26 PM in response to raheeb982

Since the edit option is not functional..

Please note, the machine is less than 36 hours old. I have nothing of great value stored on it and deleting it to the ground isn't a problem.

My concern is actually going through the process (turn on command and R) and putting in my firmware passcode only to find out later I'm infected with a malware that can reinstall itself after a hard reset (I had such malware before on previous models - impossible to detect or get rid of even by replacing the hard drive).

Can I replace the machine at the apple store? thank you guys.

Mar 8, 2020 4:13 AM in response to MrHoffman

Hello MrHoffman and thank you for your reply.

It's not appearing anymore (for now at least). The reason I doubt it is real is 1. the looks, 2.even after disabling notifications for both applications and not allowing them on "screen time" with a restriction passcode it still reappeared.

I actually don't mind the popup as it is one of the three indications I have for having been infected with malware of some sort. The other indication is that the password for the email I used as my Apple ID got changed (I use copy and paste for passwords that I don't mind all that much) and clip board is a vulnerable tool. And safari homepage was changed.

My dilemma: is whether I need to wipe the machine clean and start from scratch (getting a new router as well) or if it will be useless and by disabling fire vault and firmware passcode I'm "letting loose" whatever malware there may be. I wonder whether between me loading the remote content (the image) and updating the apps (they didn't actually update) some malicious code was introduced.

Thank you again for taking the time to reply! 😊

NB. As you can easily tell, my understanding is pretty basic. But it is based on a past riddled with router based malware.

fake FaceTime/iMessage popup whenever I connect to the internet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.