Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps Not Appearing In Security, Privacy in System Preferences

I have several apps (Skype, Chrome) on my Mac which aren't appearing in the Security panel on the Privacy tab on System Preferences. How can I fix this?

Specs

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2015)

macOS Catalina

Processor

1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5

Memory

8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Graphics

Intel HD Graphics 6000 1536 MB

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 11, 2020 5:11 AM

Actually, Skype did ask me to go to System Preferences, however Skype isn't there in Security, Privacy so i'm unable to give it permissions. Yes my microphone is available, I have reinstalled Skype several times, and I've even downloaded the Skype Preview version.

7 replies

Mar 10, 2020 8:36 PM in response to DSADDSFFSDFSSDDF

Alright, so Skype it has requested it but the input does not register it in the app. Have you verified your input devices on your iMac?

To do this, click >System Preferences...>Sound>Input.

There, you can check if A) The built-in microphone is enabled and B) The microphone is receiving input. If it's not receiving anything and the mic is enabled, you'd likely need to take it to your local Apple Store, but I don't think that this is what's causing your issue.

My first suggestion is to uninstall and reinstall Skype. You can uninstall easily by going to Finder>Applications, dragging Skype to Trash, and emptying it.

However, you mentioned that Skype isn't the only program you're having issues with.

A good place to start in my opinion is resetting your NVRAM. This will not affect your personal data, and might solve some of the problems with your microphone.

If that doesn't work (Which is very much possible) try reinstalling macOS. This will also not affect your personal data and has a good chance at resolving the current problems you're experiencing.

Mar 10, 2020 2:32 PM in response to DSADDSFFSDFSSDDF

If it's not on that list and you believe it should be, I can think of two main reasons why this is the case.

One is that the app hasn't yet requested permission for microphone access yet and you may have to setup your microphone in that program.

The second is that you don't have permission to setup the program properly. Try logging in with an admin user account if you think you may not have permission.

Apps Not Appearing In Security, Privacy in System Preferences

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.