Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail: Stuck separator bar

The separator bar is stuck at maximum, so there's no way to view an email without double-clicking and opening it individually. On hover, the bar's cursor changes shape as if to adjust its location, but won't budge off the maximum position. I have tried restarting the program and the computer several times. The problem sticks whether I am in Classic view or the mail-list-on-the-side view.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 10, 2020 5:21 PM

9 replies

Mar 11, 2020 11:54 AM in response to heather970

Heather, Quit Mail, I'd move this file to the Desktop in case we want to put it back...

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail/Data/Library/Saved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedState/windows.plist

Then open Mail & see...

~ tilde indicates hidden Home Library.

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1 From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.

2 In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Method 2:

1 Go to the Finder (or desktop).

2 Hold the Option key on your keyboard, and click the Go menu at the top of the screen.

3 With the Go menu open, you'll notice that pressing and releasing Option will display or hide the Library choice in this menu.

4 Select Library from the Go menu (while holding down Option) to access the hidden folder.

Mar 11, 2020 2:17 PM in response to BDAqua

I think I got the right one. I followed the path you laid out above.

Interesting thing, there's a new "windows.plist" file in the "com.apple.mail.SavedState" folder.

Better yet, the separator bar came loose. YAY!

Probably best to leave the new "windows.plist" file in the folder, and trash the older one that's on the desktop?

Thank you!!

Mac Mail: Stuck separator bar

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.