Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bypass the trash

I like to never have garbage after deletion. I want to permanently delete the files. There is no chance? Seems illogical to me. If I throw something away, I really don't have to. So why the trash? Empty the trash requires extra attention. I'm sorry.

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Mar 11, 2020 9:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 14, 2020 4:32 AM

I had to retrieve some of the files from the bin, but if I would to permanently delete something then I wouldn't retrieve it.

I found the key combination: Option + ⌘ + Delete

There is one combination and the trash is bypassed.

11 replies

Mar 11, 2020 3:01 PM in response to gabosalbin

To carry D.L. Johnson's suggestion one further, select the file(s) you want to delete and use the two key combinations:

⌘+Delete

followed by

⌘+Shift+Delete.

That will move the files to the Trash bin and empty the bin in two key combinations.

Or you an use a keyboard macro app like Keyboard Maestro to do both of those keystroke combinations with just one keystroke, i.e. a function key for one key or Control+D, whatever floats your boat.

Mar 11, 2020 4:37 PM in response to BobHarris

Automater created Drag & Drop app to delete files immediately. There is no "Undo"!

I got a Trashcan icon from

https://osxdaily.com/2010/07/29/add-a-trash-icon-to-the-desktop/

I did a Right-Click (Control-Click) on the trashcan icon on osxdaily.com, and selected "Save Image as..."

I opened the saved image in Preview, did a Select All, Copy.

Selected my Automator app, then Finder -> File -> Get Info

Click on the Automator icon in the upper left corner of the Get Info dialog box

Pasted the trashcan icon into the Get Info which put the trashcan icon on my Automator Drag & Drop delete app.

Drag & Drop any file on this Automator app, and it is deleted. Do Not Pass Go, Do Not Collect $200. The file is gone, and you cannot get it back.

Mar 11, 2020 9:22 AM in response to gabosalbin

Hello, gabosalbin.

The trash functions the way it does by design. It's kind of a safety net, if you will, allowing we mortal users to retrieve something we've thrown out. I can't tell you how often the feature has save me from making a mistake. If you've never had to retrieve something from the bin you should count yourself fortunate.

But to answer your question, there is a keystroke that will empty the trash: ⌘⇧⌫ (command-shift-delete).

It's quick and easy!

Mar 14, 2020 8:30 AM in response to gabosalbin

I had to retrieve some of the files from the bin, but if I would to permanently delete something then I wouldn't retrieve it.

Which is why current personal computer operating systems use the trashcan/trashbin concept, and you periodicity empty the bin (sometimes you even review to make sure it is safe to really delete the files).

As I work from the command line 95% of the time at work (Unix software developer), I really REALY understand deleting my mistake with no "Give Backs".

I'm glad you found a way to live with the trashbin.

Bypass the trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.